Style > Decor

4 Ways to Adjust Your Room For the Summer Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Spring is here which means warmer weather, birds chirping, and most importantly, brighter colors! Being able to put away your bulky jackets and sweaters in exchange for tank tops, sundresses, shorts, and bathing suits is a great feeling. However, that is not the only thing that should be changed. If you like to adjust your room to fit the perfect season like me, then you probably have dark colors and apple cinnamon candles everywhere. Here, I am going to give you some tips on how you can get in the summer spirit and liven your room.

1. Candles: The smell of your room is crucial to the season. In the fall, a nice cinnamon smell is great but for the summer, a nice blossom or beachy scent. A smell can bring back memories and right now, you should want to remember tanning on the beach or going on a hike outdoors. Having any summer scented candles will be a great fit for your room to help you get summer ready.
  2. Plants: Nature has been proven to be a great asset for your mental health. They give off an energy to allow for a more calming presence. Summer is a time for relaxation and warmer days. The sun coming out is a great way for serotonin and adding plants will only make it 10x better
  3. Décor: From throw pillows to on the wall frames, everything should be more vibrant. Because of the warmer weather, a thick dark green throw blanket is not necessary. A bright blue or pink crocheted light blanket will be much better. Small adjustments can go a long way. Changing flannel, dark colored sheets to yellow sheets can alter your perception of the season and prepare you for those summer days. Doing a cleaning can help with this by putting the seasonal stuff in storage.
  4. Moving furniture: The way you live in the winter is most likely very different from the way you live during the summer. Change is a great way to prepare for the seasonal difference. You are more likely to spend time outside rather than in your room so removing the unnecessary furniture will open the space and give a more refreshing energy.

I know that for me, being able to completely reconstruct my room can get me excited for the season changes because I can adjust it how I want. Obviously, there are many other tips to help liven up your bedroom but for a college girl, this is a simple way to alter your aesthetic for the summer season!

My name is Madison Sullivan and I am from a small town in Connecticut called North Branford. I am a Business Management major with a minor in HMP and I am not sure exactly what I want to do when I graduate. My hobbies include reading when I have time, going to the gym, and playing with my dog, Buddy.