This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

With the whirlwind that was 2020, many peopled turned to the comforts of their own home. However, they were never trapped inside due to the wonderful world of Netflix that could take them to a whole bunch of magical realms, faraway places and of course, many different time periods. However, throughout my channel surfing, I found three TV shows that stuck out to me. 

Jane the Virgin

This comedic masterpiece shines a whole new light on the idea of telenovelas while Jane learns she has been artificially inseminated with her boss’s child. It follows Jane on her journey as a Latin-American woman learning what it is like in the real world, while dealing with what it means to be a young mother who did not anticipate for her world to be turned upside-down. Through murder mysteries, love triangles and plot twists galore, this show had me in a trance while I raced to finish the series. Not only was it brilliantly executed, but it blended some real-world problems with some fictional ones to tie in reality with drama.

Queen’s Gambit

Enrapturing the audience with a strong female lead, this show demonstrates how one moment can change someone’s life forever. For little Beth Harmon, it was when she wandered into the basement and learned how to play chess from the janitor. From that moment on, she was mesmerized with the game, leading her to be a prodigy and giving her a new meaning in life. With a dismal past and an unclear future, chess allows Beth to escape and find safety in the 64 squares that define her career. Personally, the fact that the game was dominated by men made her winnings even better since very little believed in the power and brilliance of such a woman in early 1960’s, the time period the show takes place.

The Vampire Diaries

If you love drama, romance and action, this show is for you! Come join Elena as she begins a school year after a tragic accident involving her beloved parents. In a town that never sleeps, her and her friends are introduced to the world of supernatural witches, werewolves, and of course, vampires. Defeating evils, saving the world and protecting their loved ones are just some of the daily tasks that come with being part of this squad. As someone who likes to watch drama occur on the big screen rather than in front of me, this was the perfect outlet that does the job.

Learning to let go what I cannot control
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!