12 Women We’re Admiring for Women’s History Month 2024

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Oprah Winfrey. Coco Chanel. Michelle Obama. From fashion to first lady, these three women are a few among many who have not only shaped women’s history, but history as a whole. As we honor them through March, let’s take a moment to introduce our newest recognized changemakers. Here’s what you need to know about the 12 outstanding honorees of TIME’s 2024 Women of the Year (WOTY).

1. Andra Day

Although this is her first nomination as WOTY, Andra Day is no stranger to accolades. This actress and R&B singer’s fame exploded with her 2016 single “Rise Up,” one of the many impressive songs from her debut album. No doubt that Day is following in the footsteps of her idols, including Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald. In fact, in her first acting role, she starred in The United States vs. Billie Holiday as Billie Herself.

2. Marlena Fejzo

Marlena Fejzo is making a major impact in the world of medicine. After experiencing severe morning sickness during her first pregnancy, Fejzo worked to discover the gene that causes morning sickness (nausea during pregnancy). This discovery led to a study that found potential solutions to reduce this symptom in pregnant women. Along with this discovery, Fejzo has published many other scientific articles which can be found online.

3. Claudia Goldin

Raised in the Bronx, New York, Claudia Goldin attended Cornell University for a B.A. in Economics before relocating to the University of Chicago to earn her Master’s and Ph.D. in industrial organization and labor economics. Goldin used her knowledge to inform the public on something most economists pay no mind to: women in the workforce. Through her many years of work, Goldin has shed light on the economic aspects of working women, and she’s not stopping anytime soon.

4. Coco Gauff

Tennis player Coco Gauff proves age poses no limits, even in the world of sports. At just 19-years-old, Gauff has won seven singles titles and eight doubles titles in the Women’s Tennis Association. Gauff dominated at both the 2021 U.S. Open and 2022 French Open by reaching a major final in both years. She is being recognized as WOTY this year for her resilience, extreme athleticism and breaking boundaries in the sports world.

5. Greta Gerwig

In case you’ve missed it, Greta Gerwig’s name has been everywhere since her 2023 film Barbie took over headlines after its release last July. Thanks to her monumental film, Gerwig became the first solo female director to gross over $1 billion worldwide. Before her latest film, Gerwig was well known for her earlier productions including Lady Bird and Little Women.

6. Taraji P. Henson

Actress Taraji P. Henson has been a familiar face in many households since 1998 when she starred in the film Streetwise. Since then, Henson has starred in many staple productions, including Hidden Figures, Karate Kid and most recently, The Color Purple. In 2016, Henson was listed as one of the top 100 influential people in the world, and in 2019, earned a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

7 & 8. Reem Hajajreh and Yael Admi

Israeli movement Women Wage Peace co-founder Yael Admi and Palestinian organization Women of the Sun leader Reem Hajajreh came together in 2023 to bring peace through protest. These two women brought together over 1,500 protestors, lining the Jerusalem shore in protest to bring an end to the bloodshed of the Israeli-Palestine conflict. Although their efforts ended in tragedy, with the death of three Women of the Sun members three days later, Hajajreh and Admi continue their efforts to end the violence.

9. Ada Limón

Mexican-American poet Ada Limón began her career in New York City, working for various magazines before relocating to Kentucky and California. Limón has received many honors for her writing through the years, her first being in 2005 for her book Lucky Wreck. Limón was named a MacArthur Fellow in 2023 and continues to inspire writers through her incredible work.

10. Jacqui Patterson

In 2021, Jacqui Patterson founded the Chisholm Legacy Project, which aims to end some of society’s largest issues. Patterson’s non-profit focuses on the end of matters such as racial discrimination and irreversible environmental damage. Patterson aims to reduce these issues in marginalized areas, like Sandbranch, Texas, the city that inspired the start of her project.

11. Nadia Murad

Nadia Murad is a human rights activist who resides in Germany. One of her most notable accomplishments was founding Nadia’s Initiative, an organization that supports women and children victimized by mass atrocities including genocide and trafficking. In 2018, Murad won a Nobel Peace Prize alongside business partner Denis Mukwege, as they worked together to support victims of war.

12. Leena Nair

Lenna Nair is making headlines as the global CEO of Chanel, after starting this position in 2022. Before her time at Chanel, Nair worked as an intern at the Hindustan Unilever. Her outstanding approach as a leader has inspired countless women to take on leadership positions in the world of business. In 2022, Nair earned her most recent award as Forbes India’s “Top Self-Made Women’s List,” before becoming an honoree of WOTY, of course.

Congratulations to all of 2024 TIME’s Women of the Year honorees. During this year’s Women’s History Month, take a moment or two the recognize the most influential women in your life!

Olivia Gauthier is a member of the Her Campus’s editing team at the University of New Hampshire. She is a first-year Business Marketing major.