10 Ways to Keep Your Skin Healthy All Over This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

I’ve suffered from eczema since I was little, so wintertime at UNH has always been a struggle, but over my past four years here I’ve learned some tips that make the cold a little more bearable on my skin. 

1. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize

This is the most important step to helping your skin during the harsh winter months. My personal favorite is Eucerin lotion and every dermatologist I’ve ever seen has also recommended it to me. 

1. Heal overnight

One of my biggest problems during the winter is having dry and cracked hands even when I wear gloves. One of my favorite things to do is slather on a thick lotion; my favorite is Aquaphor Advanced Therapy Healing Ointment. Then get a pair of cotton gloves (you can usually find them in the pharmacy) and let your hands soak in the moisture overnight. This can also be done on your feet!

1. Use gentle soap

Body wash and heavily scented soap can be harsh on the skin. Doctors always told me a plain bar of Dove soap was the best soap on the market! 

1. Use a humidifier

Put a small humidifier in your room and keep it on while you sleep. It helps put back some of the moisture that the house heat takes out. 

1. Don’t take superhot baths (as tempting as they sound)

The hot water only dries out your skin more. Try to keep the water as lukewarm as possible. If you can’t say no to a hot shower, make it a quick one.

1. Sunscreen still matters

When my doctor asked me if I was wearing sunscreen in the middle of December I was shocked, but he reminded me that the sun is still powerful. The easiest way to do this is get a moisturizer with sunscreen. I always get the Neutrogena brands with sunscreen. 

1. Winter foods for healthy skin

What you eat can help! Grapefruit, coffee, edamame, tofu, egg yolks, tea, soymilk, carrots, tuna, broccoli, spinach, sardines, pumpkin, cocoa have all been shown to help keep your skin healthy!

1. Take a fish-oil supplement

Some research has shown that omega-3 fish oil pills can sooth super dry skin

1. Never underestimate the power of bundling up

Getting a warm jacket, a good pair of gloves, and a big scarf will go a long way.

1. Stay hydrated

I didn’t think this would really make a difference, but when my doctor told me to up the amount of water I drank every day, I really did see a difference. You can also add fruits and vegetables like apples, cucumbers etc., that have a high water content.