10 Things You’ll Learn From Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Hi! My name is Emmy Ciabattoni and I studied abroad with API in Seville, Spain.

I’ve listed the top 10 things I’ve learned from studying abroad and am sure many of you can relate! List to follow–  

1) Gelato is not (and never will be) ice cream.

Once you’ve had gelato.. there’s no going back. American ice cream is great— amazing, even. I’m a huge fan. But it just doesn’t compare. There’s something about that deep, rich, creamy flavor you can only find in authentic gelato. You might pick up some Talenti, or other random brand, to be wishfully transported back to that European feel– but it just won’t be the same. How they do it? We will never know.

2) Keep your elbows on the table.

You’ve probably been taught ‘no elbows on the table’—it’s not polite and it’s not good manners. In Europe.. things are different. In Europe, if your hands are below the table, your dinner companions will likely wonder what you’re doing down there. 

3) Peanut butter is treasure.

Nutella is everywhere is Europe—kinda like peanut butter in America. So when you found that PB jar abroad for like $5, you probably snatched it. You might’ve come to miss peanut butter– even if you didn’t think you liked it before. Peanut butter is like home.

4) It’s okay—actually, it’s encouraged—to take a nap.

In America, your parents/friends might call you lazy for midday napping. But in Spain, everyone heads back to bed around lunchtime—shops close, stores close, and everyone relaxes. What’s wrong with a little midday-revitalization? 

5) You’re probably way better at ‘pretending you know what’s going on’ than expected..

When it comes to different cultures and languages, you probably (at some point) found yourself nodding in agreement with absolutely no idea of what was actually going on. And that’s okay..! Truth is, you can’t understand every Spanish word that’s been spoken and know exactly what’s going on– you’re learning. But do your best! Just smile and nodd when need be. Laughing helps, too. 

6) You will fail.. but you won’t die. 

The previous^^ being said.. you will make mistakes, but it’s not the end of the world. While travelling you will probably miss a flight and/or take the wrong bus, but hey– it’s inevitable. We are human; not perfect. What matters is how you deal with it. 

7) There’s almost always some way to figure it out.

Your problem-solving skills have increased ten-fold. You’re basically a secret agent. Even when every door closes and slams shut in your face—you’ll find a secret way out. 

8) BTW.. You’ve probably never eaten real pizza.

Adios Domino’s—you’ve been great, but Italy just does it so much better. Thin, doughy, salty crust—slathered with savory tomato and melted, gooey cheese. Delizioso!

9) People are important.

While abroad, you’ll spend some quality time with some quality people. Locals and Americans alike. People come first and take precedent—over studies, work, exercise. If you see someone you know— especially a local— stop and talk to them. Otherwise, he/she might take offense. You will get to your responsibilities after/later/eventually. 

10) It wasn’t about you.. it’s about them.

You were probably so excited going into your study abroad experience—thinking OMG I’m going to do this for myself! But the longer you’re abroad, the more you realize that the world doesn’t revolve around you and what you want. It’s an awesome and courageous step you took to study abroad— you took the time to culturally immerse yourself and step beyond your comfort zone. But you stepped into someone else’s world– in the end, it’s about the people you met and the things you’ve learned about them. It’s about them. And appreciating a kind of life you never knew existed. 

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!