Naturally, there are many emotions that go along with having your best friends leaving the country and traveling the world without you. I know the semester has just begun but still I find myself riding a roller coaster of emotions already! These are the ten stages of dealing with my best friends going abroad while I’m stuck here in the states:
- Being excited for your friends because they’re about to go on their journey of a lifetime.
- Being sad from the “it’s not goodbye, it’s a see you later” bit that you get from all of them.
- Being insanely jealous while you’re sitting in bed watching all of their Snapchats and seeing all of their Instagrams from trendy places with trendy food.
- Even more insane jealous that their classes include “chocolate tasting” and “international art” while yours include “investment analysis” and “quantitative decision making”.
- Being excited when you get that FaceTime you’ve been waiting for!
- Still more jealous when they tell you about the foreign hunk they met when they were roaming around town last night.
- Sadness when the FaceTime is over and you don’t know when they’ll have WiFi/service again.
- Beginning the countdown of days until they come home even though they’ve only been gone for a few weeks.
- Realizing that they are going to have the time of their life overseas and so you’re happy for them again.
- Coming to the conclusion that you cannot physically make it through six months without seeing them, so you start saving your money to buy a plane ticket to visit them for Spring Break!
So to all my best friends who are studying abroad: through all of these emotions, I am truly excited for you even though I miss you immensly and it’s only been a matter of weeks (or even days)!