10 Reasons to Study Abroad in London

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

When I think back to my Freshman year of college, I remember being extremely disinterested in studying abroad. Why would I want to leave the country when UNH is just so awesome? Well I have to admit, I was naive. As time went on I looked into the abroad programs, and I just studied abroad this past Spring semester, and it was by far the greatest experience I have ever had. Not only did I go abroad, but I studied and lived in London – the most wonderful and diverse city in the world. 

Not only do I encourage everyone to study abroad at some point during their college career, but I strongly encourage London. Here are the amazing, irresistible reasons why:

1. You get to live in a Royal Park. That’s right. You will live at Regent’s Park and study at Regent’s University. You will basically be royalty. Not only is the park beautiful, but the zoo is nearby, where Prince William has been spotted visiting before. The great thing about Regent’s is that it’s still right in the middle of the city, but the park makes it a bit private, which is extremely peaceful when you need it. Did I mention there’s also a student bar in the school?

2. The London Eye – talk about amazing views! If you’re afraid of heights, do not worry. Being the biggest ferris wheel out there, the London Eye moves slowly, lasting for about 20-25 minutes. You can go on during the day or at night, but keep in mind that the best views are seen in the daylight. This gives you the ability to see the whole city which is so awesome to see all at once. 

3. You get to go to O’Neill’s Pub. This point may be a bit bias, but you know it’s important if it’s #3 on this list. Every Thursday night I would make an appearance at O’Neill’s – an Irish pub located in Soho (London’s China Town). This place was a blast. They had live music every night covering bands such as Goo Goo Dolls, The Killers, and many older, classic songs. There’s also a mix of club music when the bands are taking a break. It’s extremely fun and has everything you could want in nightlife. Everyone sings and dances to the songs and the environment is so friendly and welcoming. Pretty sure I plan on going back to be the general manager… And sometime they’ll even let us crazy American girls on stage…

4. Harrod’s. Quite possibly the most expensive store you will ever walk into. But, it’s so fun to go in there and admire everything. The clothing, shoes, and accessories this store has is like no other. You will see so many amazing brands and designers. Unfortunately it really is out of the spending range for us college students, but they also have a gift shop with affordable items such as Harrod’s brand wallets, bags, and accessories. Not to mention they have a delicious ice cream parlor and food – something we all don’t mind spending money on here and there. 

5. A day trip to Windsor! Windsor Castle is the Queen’s home on the weekends and is absolutely beautiful. Not only can you tour the giant castle, but there’s also a really nice shopping center in Windsor. To get from Regent’s to Windsor is just a train ride away and it doesn’t take long at all. I think it’s a wonderful opportunity to get a different feel of England because it’s much different than the city, and it’s a lovely area.

6. You can WALK to get to Buckingham Palace! Let’s be real… How many people can say they can do that? Not only can you admire this palace but you can also experience the changing of the guards, which is also a wonderful British experience. I can’t tell you for sure who is in the palace on certain days, but it’s cool to visit regardless. The landscaping and flowers that surround the palace in the springtime is absolutely beautiful and something you do not want to miss.

7. You get to have the ultimate Underground Tube experience. By Tube, I mean London’s subway. It’s a super cool way to get from point A to point B. I must admit it did take me a while to figure out the routes on my own, but it felt extremely awesome to learn to navigate the city on my own and experience the nice, clean, fast transportation. You also get to have your own Oyster card for frequent Tube rides. You’d basically be a Londoner and fit right in.

8. The Harry Potter studio tour. A big fan of JK Rowling and the movies? What if I told you that you could see the real sets and props that were used in the movies? Well, it’s true! About an hour outside the city is the Harry Potter studio where you get to experience what went into making Harry Potter and how all of the special effects were created. Props and objects such as wands, Harry’s glasses, and Hagrid’s Hut are just some of the wonderful things you get to see that were really used in the movie. 

9. Having tea on the Thames River. Can you think of anything classier than sipping on tea in London on a boat cruise?! Not only are you drinking deliciousness, but you get to see so many pretty sites, such as the Houses of Parliament and the London Bridge. It’s quite an unforgettable experience and view.

10. This list could honestly go up to 100, but I will wrap up at #10. I encourage everyone to study abroad in London because not only can you visit these amazing sites and locations, but you would get to live in such a diverse and cosmopolitan city. Walking down the street everyday I would hear so many different languages, see so many different people, and embrace so many different cultures. You get to study with students from all over the world and see what it truly means to participate in a different society. If that isn’t an eye-opening experience then I really don’t know what is. Besides, I know you want a picture with one of these guards…

Erica Korff is a senior communications major with a minor in writing at the University of New Hampshire. She is a blogger, news writer, and journalist in the making. Visit her personal blog page at www.ericakorff.com
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!