Swift Swoop In: Saving the Spinnaker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNF chapter.

(“This blank… front and back pages represent what your student fees are funding next year.”– The March 2015 issue of the Spinnaker )

Here at the University of North Florida, the campus news that students rely on come from the Spinnaker magazine and Spinnaker Media.

Unfortunately, as of late, the Spinnaker is in danger of losing funding from Student Government due to budget cuts. If the Spinnaker loses its funding, the magazine may no longer be able to be published.

The Spinnaker is produced by many hard-working students and staff who are dedicated to the magazine just as much as they are dedicated to UNF.

A petition has been floating around several classrooms, with a few stationed in the Communication Department office (second floor, building 14D) that students and faculty can sign in order to support the Spinnaker as they urge President Delaney to veto the approved cuts.

If you’d like to support the Spinnaker, and help to keep it on campus, make sure to stop into the office within the next few days to sign the petition. Every signature counts!

To lose the Spinnaker would be truly disappointing to many students, so let’s do all we can to keep it! 

My name is Maya Dartiguenave, and I am a senior at the University of North Florida. I'm a communications major, with a focus in public relations. Reading, writing, anything to do with words is what holds my true interest, which is why I'm so happy to be a part of Her Campus! I'm so excited to have started UNF's chapter of Her Campus!While I claim to be a Florida girl for now, my heart belongs to Philadelphia, always. (Go, Eagles!) I hope to move away from Florida after graduation, work my way through grad school, and begin my career in publishing. The future is definitely going to be an adventure, and I can't wait for it!