How to Keep Him on His Toes (And Out of Your Head)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNF chapter.

Collegiettes, we’ve all been there. You’re at the library, at the local bar, or in class, and out of nowhere a potential fling appears. He’s tall, great smile, wearing the perfect shade of grey to match his blue eyes – you stop and ask yourself, now what?

“How do I get him– and, most importantly, how in the heck do I keep him?”

Guys are complicated. Point blank. It’s safe to say we all need a little help here and there. I’ve compiled a list of tips I think do the trick in keeping a guy on his toes, and out of your head! You know, so you can focus on the more important things in life, like spending time with your girlfriends and studying for your Bio exam. 

1. Don’t text back right away.

And when I say right away, I mean wait hours, maybe even days, after the first initial, “We should grab drinks sometime.” If he’s seriously into you, he’s not asking multiple girls out for drinks, so keep that in mind!

2. Don’t wait around.

If he doesn’t respond in a reasonable amount of time, DO NOT WAIT AROUND. Invest your time engaging in hobbies, hanging with friends, and trying that new Gelato store on the corner. If you have a free schedule, a guy is going to think he is your schedule. We are independent, collegiettes!

3. Don’t jump the gun.

As ladies, we get so excited about our new fling, we want to tell the whole world. But, it’s never a good idea to blab to your friends or his starting on day one. You will only be disappointed if the fling doesn’t go the way you hope. Wait a while– the stories will only get better from there!

4. Let him see you with other people.

No, this doesn’t mean you need to have multiple male suitors. It just means you need to let him wonder a little. Deny his invite, go out with your best gal pals, and let him wonder why you didn’t go with him! Remain mysterious by not disclosing where you are, what you are doing, or who you are with. 

5. Don’t take it too seriously, and never assume!

Nothing freaks guys out more than this. If he asks you on a date, it’s a date. Simple as that, it doesn’t mean you’re dating (yet). Don’t call his phone first, or ask to take pictures with him. Let him come to you. 

Most importantly, be yourself. Be confident. Become your own first, collegiette!

HCXO,Shannen

Shannen is a senior at University of North Florida. When she's not studying or working, she spends her days blogging and binge watching Netflix. She has a love/hate relationship with her bed and her favorite food is tacos. She was previously an editorial intern at Jax Mag and is now a staff writer and blogger for HC UNF. Follow her on twitter @shannen_hurst for a collection of vaguely amusing tweets.