Wilmington Wins the Best American Riverfront

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Located on the Cape Fear River is the beautiful Wilmington Riverfront. The quaint location offers a perfect place to escape and relax or take a night out on the town. The various attractions in combination with the gorgeous view explain why USA Today’s 10best.com recently named Wilmington, North Carolina the Best American Riverfront.

Photo: www.riverfrontwilm.com

USA Today gave readers a chance to vote to decide which 10 riverfront cities are the best in America. Wilmington came out on top, with its competitor Spokane, Washington close behind. According to Libby McMillan from USA Today’s 10best.com, Wilmington won with 33 percent of the total vote, while the runner up, Spokane, had 28 percent. Wilmington was able to pull ahead to secure the lead in the final days of voting. McMillan said that 22,000 votes were cast in the final three days of the contest, which played a huge hand in helping Wilmington win the title. Besides Wilmington and Spokane, Davenport, Dubuque, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Chattanooga, Savannah and Detroit also made the list. In the end, Wilmington earned the title, which is and always will be much deserved.

This national contest will help put Wilmington on everyone’s radar. USA Today will be advertising the victory in print and digital forms, so along with the bragging rights, this will also increase Wilmington’s tourism. As Seahawks, we are proud to say we live in such a beautiful place!

Wilmington’s riverfront has so much to offer. There is great nightlife, restaurants, local shops and boutiques. Also, the view is incredible and is definitely worth seeing as the sun sets. If you are looking for a restaurant with a view, Wilmington’s riverfront has that too. The riverfront has multiple restaurants that are located riverside with great porches for watching the sunset while you eat dinner. Although it’s unlikely, if you live in Wilmington and haven’t gotten the chance to check out the famous riverfront, plan to go there for your next outing.