This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Did you know that Easter is the second biggest candy-giving holiday, only coming in a close second to Halloween? Or that Americans buy more than 90 million eggs annually to dye or eat for Easter? After all, Easter just wouldn’t be the same with out a few chocolate bunnies and some colorful eggs.  

Every year, Easter is celebrated in early Spring by Christians and non-Christians alike. Although the holiday has a huge religious affiliation, kids of all ages mainly get excited for the goodies that the Easter Bunny brings. Popular Easter candies include: Cadbury eggs, chocolate bunnies, jellybeans and Peeps, just to name a few. From past experiences, my Easter basket always has twice as much candy as my stocking does during Christmas. Easter baskets are typically thought to only contain candy, but mine usually includes a few more practical (and less fun) items, such as pens, pads of paper, jewelry and nail polish, as well.

Easter may be known for its crazy candy consumption, but the best part of Easter has everything to do with the eggs. Whether you dye your own or find new ones on a scavenger hunt, Easter is never complete without a little egg action. As a family, we always hard-boil a bunch of eggs the night before Easter. Then on Easter morning, we dye them all sorts of different colors and hand them out to the kids in our neighborhood.

Although Easter has a religious significance, the holiday means something different to every person you ask. Easter is also about welcoming Spring and saying goodbye to Winter, so for a lot of families, the holiday is more about the changing of the seasons. For me, Easter is all about getting to spend a little quality time with my family. Easter provides a weekend where families can take a second to relax, enjoy some chocolate, and of course, dye some eggs!

https://www.dosomething.org/blog/11-facts-about-easter