A Whole New Level Of Popcorn: Port City Popcorn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

“I have inspiration at the grocery store, I research… and sometimes I just experiment pairing flavors with other flavors to create a whole new flavor.” –Terrie Wallace, owner of Port City Popcorn

From pizza to chocolate strawberry flavored popcorn, Port City Popcorn has got all of your cravings covered. This past week I visited local popcorn and sweets store Port City Popcorn, less than five minutes away from campus. Terrie Wallace, owner of Port City Popcorn, opened the store back in August 2014 after ending her eighteen years in the medical field.  Wallace wanted a small business and decided to take a risk on the popcorn industry.

“In 2014, [popcorn] was one of the fastest growing industries. We just kind of researched to see what a good industry would be. We decided that we would just bite the bullet and go for it,” Wallace said.

Wallace makes the popcorn, fudge, frosted nuts (and pretzels coming soon!) right in the store. Their most popular flavors are lightly salted, caramel, and Chicago style (which is sweet and salty with cheddar and caramel together.)

During my visit I tried the pizza popcorn, I could literally taste the marinara sauce and cheese with each bite. One of the employees gave me a bacon flavored popcorn and gave me a *mystery* flavor (which was maple popcorn) to try together. “Isnt it so good?” she said, “It tastes like breakfast!” I ended up buying a bag of maple popcorn because I loved the flavor. Other flavors I tried were chocolate salted caramel and chocolate covered strawberry, which were all delicious as well.  

Pop by Port City Popcorn (on Eastwood road right off Racine) to meet some of the friendliest people and try their amazing sweets. I promise you will not be disappointed!

Follow Port City Popcorn on Instagram and Facebook.

Most likely at Target and/or drinking sweet tea. Senior from Apex, North Carolina. Co-Campus Correspondent for the UNCW chapter, Contact me with any comments or questions!