Ways to Enjoy Spring Break Without Breaking the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Whether you’re planning to jet away for some downtime with friends or stay on campus and relax (because you deserve it!) here are some spring break ideas on the cheap to suit anyone’s fancy!

1) Grab a Groupon

Though it can seem a little cliche at times, it’s totally okay to be a coupon clipper every now and then. Groupon has some awesome deals on fitness classes, wine tastings, or one-night-getaways for you to enjoy with your girls. Groupon is super friendly on your wallet and can be a neat way to discover new hobbies. If more than one person in your circle of friends buys the Groupon, they usually reduce the price even more! (p.s. they also have a spring break special going on right now!)

2) Have a picnic or bonfire

Settling down with some food and friends by the beach and enjoying the beautiful weather and company of your friends is basically the epitome of spring break. Spring break is a great time to rekindle old friendships, so whether you’re spending it in your hometown or college town, it’s always fun to invite a few friends over and share favorite foods and funny stories from this semester. Bonus if you roast marshmallows over the fire!

3) A Movie Marathon/ Potluck

Invite some friends to your place, have everyone bring their best homemade dish, and pop in the newest, cheesy scary movie of the year! You can replace scary movies with a classic rom-com or a dramatic thriller if you prefer, but whatever you choose to watch it’s a great way to bond with some friends and pig out on yummy homemade goodies!

4) Pull out a Pinterest Tutorial

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m more than a little lazy when it comes to pinning cool things and forgetting them almost immediately after. That being said, after sifting through you craft boards and visiting a flea market to pick up an old coffee table, putting some of those crafting skills to work could give you a whole new decorating mentality! Re-purposing old furniture and stencils is a great way to use your time this break. If you’re feeling especially creative, make a cool recipe that you’ve been dying to try out! Even if you aren’t the next master chef, practicing your cooking skills is always fun even if the product isn’t perfect. 

5) Play with puppies at a shelter

If you’re having a rough day or just want to snuggle up to some furry cuties, remember that local shelters are always looking for volunteers to play with their animals! Spending some time giving extra love to a dog or cat is a fun way to give back to your community and looks great on a resume, so it’s a total win-win situation. And who doesn’t love spending time with adorable animals!