Top 5 Oils For Your Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

You might have heard about the oil trend that has taken over the skincare realm. It seems like no matter where you turn, people are talking about the benefits of slathering oil all over your face as a moisturizer or massaging it into your skin as a cleanser. Although it seems counterintuitive to put oil on your face (especially if you are already oily or acne-prone!) there are actually a lot of great benefits of going to bed greasy. Here are the top 5 oils that are the best for your skin depending on your skin type. 

1. Argan Oil. With a comedogenic rating of 0, argan oil is one of the best to use on your face as a moisturizer without the fear of clogged pores. It has a high vitamin E content that helps repair damaged skin and speeds up the healing process. It is lightweight which means it absorbs quickly into the skin and can even be used under makeup. If you have acne, argan oil is a great way to ease inflammation without clogging pores. 

2. Hemp Seed Oil. Another 0 on the comedogenic scale, hemp seed oil is a great choice for acne-prone or oily skin. It is packed with trace minerals and vitamins E, A, and D which help nourish tired or dull skin. Like argan oil, it can help reduce inflammation caused by acne and can also help alleviate skin conditions like rosacea or psoriasis. 

[Photo courtesy to bodyunburdened.com]

3. Jojoba Oil. What is actually a liquid form of a wax, jojoba oil is a 2 on the comedogenic scale, which makes it pretty safe to use on skin without clogging pores. This wax is the closest resemblance to our skin’s natural sebum, so using it can help to regulate sebum production and ease oiliness while still keeping skin moisturized. It can even help unclog pores stuck with waxy sebum by loosening the dirt and oils trapped inside. Additionally, jojoba oil has been shown to help drastically heal damaged skin and fight infections– so it’s always a good choice to use for acne-prone skin.

4. Rosehip Seed Oil. This oil has a comedogenic rating of only 1, so there is little need to be afraid of clogged pores when using rosehip seed oil. Sometimes referred to as the “anti-aging” oil, rosehip seed oil is packed with antioxidants and vitamins that help speed up cell turnover, heal scars, and reduce fine lines. It also has a high concentration of vitamin C, which means it will help brighten and even out your skin tone. 

5. Coconut Oil. The holy grail of oils in the beauty community, coconut oil is well-known for its skin benefits. However, with a rating of 4 on the comedogenic scale, coconut oil is known to clog pores, so acne sufferers beware. The anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties of coconut oil are great for reducing bacteria on the skin and calming redness, and the high amounts of fatty acids give your skin a glow from the inside out. Additionally, it helps regulate sebum production much like jojoba oil. 

[Photo courtesy to authoritynutrition.com]

Maddie is a senior at UNCW majoring in English Literature with a Professional Writing Certificate and minoring in Women's Gender Studies.