Tom Virtue: Dad from Even Stevens at UNCW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

UNCW experienced a sliver of Hollywood on Oct. 30 when L.A. Theatre Works performed the renowned and revamped play, “The Graduate.” Amongst the actors was Tom Virtue, who you most likely know as Steve Stevens from the well-known television show of our childhood, “Even Stevens.” Aside from the popular Disney Channel show that many of us grew up with, Virtue has acted in countless television shows, movies on the big screen and more recently, theatre.

Virtue found his calling in acting when he was a child starring as Barnacle Bill the Sailor.

“It got huge laughs and I said, ‘ooh, I like this,’ so that’s how it started for me,” Virtue said.

Hearing the audience’s laughter filled Virtue with positivity and confidence. He frequently experienced competition amongst his brothers, who were all-state athletes, but acting was when he could truly distinguish himself.

“When I got up on a stage, it was a place that I could be a little greater than average, compared to my brothers,” he said.

Virtue is more than average in the acting field, as he’s had thirty years of  experience . Virtue said he loved his role as Steve Stevens–it was a great experience, he said.

With a three-year run, the show’s comedy was what drew kids and their parents to the television. After the show’s conclusion, Virtue decided to stray from comedy and pursue drama-related features.

“All I did in the beginning was big comedy and it’s gotten smaller,” he said. “It had to be smaller and it had to be closer to home, closer to who I am.”

Acting as doctors, lawyers and even preachers, Virtue felt that by performing more “real-life” roles helped him gain a stronger connection with his audience. He recounts this transition in his career as a growth from his original comedy features, like “Even Stevens.”

“Even Stevens” still held a place in his heart and after scoring a role on “Transformers: Dark of the Moon,” he reunited with Shia LaBeouf. Even though the duo had not seen each other in years, LaBeouf and Virtue connected with one another instantaneously.

“Shia is the actor that I like working with most…one of the few actors I’ve been with where I have trouble not laughing, which is a great feeling to get ‘cause I don’t get that way that often,” he said.

Although he enjoyed his time working with his co-actors in television and on the big screen, theatre offered a more casual laid-back atmosphere.

“It [theatre] is my favorite medium to work in, but less money,” he said. “I get a feeling like I’m on vacation…it’s involved in this particular type of touring.”

The L.A. Theatre Works traveled and performed earlier this year in China. It was the trip of a lifetime for many of its actors and actresses, including Virtue. He described it as his favorite vacation, partially because he was able perform theatre during the trip.

Theatre is distinguishably different from film and television, but those [film and television] have become the most prominent mediums in the acting realm, as they are popularized as the highlight of actors and actresses careers.

“The great thing about film is it is still considered the biggest medium,” he said. “When you’ve made it in film, you’re kind of seen as the highest form of popular actor.”

Contrary to what most would expect from his experiences, Virtue’s favorite medium to work in is theatre. He recalls spending the majority of his time in television and film trying to remember and recite his lines. Theatre provides him with the ability to play off of the character he is portraying and taking it to a new level.

“I would do a show for 10 years, if it was a good show and you like the part, because you can still play within that one piece and make it fresh for yourself every night,” Virtue said

Whether it is theatre, film or television, students at UNC Wilmington have an itch for acting. Wilmington is commonly known as the “Hollywood of the East” and many students spend their undergrad years trying to ‘make it’ in the industry. Virtue advises anyone that wants to pursue acting as a career to focus on gaining any experience possible.

“The key is to act,” he said. “Find a way to act, there’s always a way to act. You just have to get out and do it and find a way to create something.”

There are a number of opportunities for students to act in Wilmington. They can produce one-man shows at many local venues downtown or they can stay after productions to see if there is an agent available that might need work from college students.

“You can find it if you want it and you’ve got to go out and do that because half the battle is making a business out of it, not just waiting for fame to knock on your doorstep while you’re practicing,” he said.

He recalls his favorite moment during high school when he first discovered his drive for performance. Acting has given him the opportunity to truly enjoy what he does as a career and working with L.A. Theatre Works has provided him with memorable travels and experiences.

“It’s been a pleasure being in Wilmington, on campus meeting some students,” said Virtue.

Throughout 30 years of acting, Virtue has made his mark in the industry. He remembers being most inspired by his high school teacher and now Virtue is inspiring young actors and actresses throughout the country, including students at UNCW.

Kaitlyn is a student at The University of North Carolina Wilmington attaining a degree in communication studies with a focus in public relations and minor in journalism. She will be graduating in May of 2015 with a B.A. In addition to starting a Her Campus chapter at UNCW, she also is a contributing writer for USA TODAY College and has interned for local WILMA magazine and The Greater Wilmington Business Journal. When she's not writing, her time is spent working or reading magazines of all varieties. Kaitlyn plans to move to New York City after graduation to pursue a career in journalism. You can follow her on twitter @KaitlynRussell_