Taking Advantage of Your Holiday Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Every student loves a break, especially when in college. What’s not to love about no homework, exams or lectures? Although, most of us want to sit and do nothing over break, that might not be the best way to take advantage of your time off from school. Here are some ways to fully take advantage of your break!

Use this time to get ahead in your classes–it’s the perfect opportunity! Take an hour or two each day of break and designate it to work on assignments that are due in the near future. This will lessen the stress-load that every student experiences when returning to school after a break. It also will give you more time to work on an assignment versus rushing to complete it a night or two before it’s due date.

Plan out the rest of your school year. If you’re an underclassman, planning ahead can make or break your college experience and give you ample opportunities to do things like study abroad. If you’re an upperclassman, planning will ensure that you can graduate on time or squeeze in that class you always wanted to take. Use the break away from school to figure out what you need to take, at least for the upcoming year and plan a backup in the case that a class is not offered. Having it organized ahead of time can really help you in the long run once registration comes around.

Relax over break, but don’t make a habit out of it. If you’re like the majority of college students, the first thing you do when you get home is plop on the couch and watch T.V. (and you should after working hard in school!) But, as break continues, set aside specific times for relaxation, instead of sitting all day. Most likely, if you sit and do nothing all day, you’re going to get into the habit of it and getting back into the school routine will be that much more difficult. Remember that relaxation is important, so find other ways to relax, like visiting with family or meeting up with friends, just so you don’t get accustomed to sitting and watching T.V. all day.

Get moving! In the words of Elle Woods, “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy.” As unappealing as it sounds, exercising over break can really benefit you. Getting your body moving will release stress and make you feel better overall. You have no excuses over break, so find a fun way to do it. Go to the gym, power walk when shopping or run with your dog outside. You’ll end up with more energy than when you started!

Make resolutions–they’re not just for the new year. If you notice that a bad habit started during the semester, such as staying up late or not studying enough, use the break to create a resolution. Figure out how you can implement it once you get back to school and find a way to hold yourself accountable, whether it be telling your roommate to remind you or leaving sticky notes on your bathroom mirror. A resolution can help improve your school year and you’re more than likely to stick it out if you set a short-term goal. For example, make it last until the next break versus an entire year. It’s never too late to improve yourself!

Extra time in college is definitely hard to come by. Using your breaks to better yourself and to prepare to get ahead is almost too good to pass up. You won’t get many holiday breaks each semester, so take advantage while you can!

Kaitlyn is a student at The University of North Carolina Wilmington attaining a degree in communication studies with a focus in public relations and minor in journalism. She will be graduating in May of 2015 with a B.A. In addition to starting a Her Campus chapter at UNCW, she also is a contributing writer for USA TODAY College and has interned for local WILMA magazine and The Greater Wilmington Business Journal. When she's not writing, her time is spent working or reading magazines of all varieties. Kaitlyn plans to move to New York City after graduation to pursue a career in journalism. You can follow her on twitter @KaitlynRussell_