The Stages of Being a Second Semester Senior as Told by the Gilmore Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Being a second semester senior can be crazy, stressful, exciting and scary. This semester in particular leaves you asking so many questions about your future, your past and life in general. To help you navigate the stages of being a second semester senior, Lorelai, Rory and the gang are here to dry your tears, lighten the mood and show you that everything is going to be all right.

In January, you thought you could conquer the world. At the beginning of the semester you were excited to see what all of the hype was about. You were ready to take on the world, one job application at a time.

As the reality of the semester kicked in, you realized being a second semester senior doesn’t mean that you never have any work to do. Although you’re taking fewer hours, there are other things you need to accomplish. Not only do you have to maintain your current course load, but you also have to go to your internship, look for jobs, apply to grad school, go out every weekend and spend all of the remaining time with your friends. It seems there just isn’t enough time for sleep anymore.

Not to mention, everyone wants to know what your plans are after you graduate. How can you tell people your plan if you don’t even know it yet? This question always makes you feel some type of way because you don’t have your life planned out. 

To appease the question askers, you apply to jobs left and right. You just want to do something meaningful with the rest of your life, but that seems impossible with the way things are going for you right now. At this rate, it seems like you’ll never get your dream job.

To make matters worse, you know you’ll be leaving your friends at the end of this semester. You have known these people for four long years and to end the relationship this way just seems ridiculous. So with the free time you have left, you are attempting to do everything you said you would do with your friends while in college. Luckily, you’re in this together so you’re going to cope with this drastic change the only way you know how.

In the end, graduating from college can be scary. The reality of the situation is that so many other second semester seniors feel the exact same way that you do. So hang in there and enjoy every day of your last semester. Before you know it, you will be walking with your diploma in hand and that is definitely something to celebrate. 

Photos courtesy of giphy.com