Signs You’re a Fangirl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

The terms “fangirl” and “fanboy” are defined as a “female or male fan, especially one who is obsessive about comics, movies, music, or science fiction.” With that being said, there are certain things only fangirls and boys can understand. If you identify with anything on this list, you know what I mean.

1. Your phone and computer backgrounds are most likely photos of your obsession.

In your busy life, you need a constant reminder of the thing you love the most. With how much you’re on your phone/computer, why not make it your background?

Photo courtesy of The Daily Fandom.

2. You’re not ashamed of the hundreds you’ve spent on related merchandise.

T-shirts, posters, concert tickets, books, films–you name it, and you’ve most likely invested in it at some point. There’s a collection of these things building up somewhere.

3. You defend your obsession like you’d defend a close friend.

If your obsession is a problematic celebrity, you definitely know this feeling. You often find yourself explaining their behavior to people and apologize on their behalf.

Photo courtesy of Tumblr.

4. Your room might’ve looked something like this at one point:

Photo courtesy of We Heart It

If you’re older, it might not be as intense anymore, but there are traces of what once was (ie. posters, pillows, etc.)

5. If you hear people talking about your obsession, you immediately start paying attention.

If they’re being critical, you want to jump in and perform #3 because they obviously don’t know what they’re talking about.

6. Your friends get tired of hearing about it.

You like to hit them with those 3AM texts when you’re deep in thought about your obsession, be it new theories or opinions. Sometimes they feed into it, but other times they ignore you altogether. Friends who have the same obsession are a must.

Photo courtesy of We Heart It.

7. Your obsession consumes most aspects of your life, but you wouldn’t have it any other way.

When it comes down to it, you love what you love. Nobody can change that, so be over the top and fangirl/fanboy your heart out!

Photo courtesy of Buzzfeed.

Lindsay is a senior at UNCW studying Criminology and Sociology. When she's not contemplating the deeply rooted inequalities of the criminal justice system, she is either working out at the Rec Center or sitting in Starbucks with a coffee or tea in hand.