Scott Blackburn, RHA President and Campus Celebrity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Her Campus UNCW realizes the importance and power of collaborations between organizations. After North Carolina was hit by Hurricane Matthew much harder than expected, we chose a team effort with the university’s Residence Hall Association to collect non-perishable food items to be delivered to the surrounding counties that had suffered the effects of the hurricane. Keep reading for an interview with Scott Blackburn, President of the Residence Hall Association and this week’s Campus Celebrity!  

Her Campus: Why do you think it’s important for student organizations to collaborate on campus?

Scott Blackburn: I think it is important for student organizations to collaborate on campus because it shows unity and also helps build connections across campus. A lot of organizations are very capable and do amazing programs and efforts. When multiple organizations come together then the programs and efforts become bigger and better in my opinion. It also allows student leaders to get to know one another and connect. At the end of the day, we are all here to serve UNCW and all that attend it; collaborating is one way to ensure that we go above and beyond serving.

HC: What has RHA been doing to spread the word about the food drive?

SB: RHA has had each of our Area Councils create and distribute flyers around their areas advertising this food drive. We also have collection boxes out in each area near their DR desk, so residents will have a central place near them to drop off any food donations. Additionally, the Associate Director of Housing sent out a letter on RHA’s behalf to all on-campus residents informing them about this food drive. We have also posted about it on our social media pages. Also, Her Campus has been a huge support and help in being our partner in this endeavor.

HC: How has the food drive been received by students on campus?

SB: From what I have heard and seen, I think students have been in full support about this food drive. I know some people who live in those parts of North Carolina that suffered immense flood damage. They are glad to see the UNCW community coming together to aid their local communities. Walking around to the multiple boxes, I am very pleased with what people have been willing to donate to help this cause.

HC: In the future, how can UNCW be better prepared to help students who have been affected by a disaster such as Hurricane Matthew?

SB: I feel like UNCW or a couple of the student organizations could form a disaster relief organization or have a sub-committee that solely focuses on disaster relief. By having a group focusing solely on this topic, relief programs could easily grow to have more collection locations and encompass residence halls, academic buildings, and dining halls. Additionally, I would recommend making and maintaining connections with multiple relief non-profits that way it will be quick and easy to distribute all collected materials. The year before this, RHA did a smaller food drive called We Are Carolina to aid the South Carolina schools that suffered flooding. I feel having that prior experience helped us figure out how to make this food drive bigger and better. Once again, thank you to everyone who has participated.

Photo courtesy of Scott Blackburn. 

Olivia is a senior at UNCW, majoring in Creative Writing. She enjoys color coding all things possible and hanging string lights year-round.