The Red Zone: Safety Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

At the start of every fall semester, there is an excitement experienced by many college students, whether it be a new apartment or dorm room, new classes, or just the general anticipation of fresh beginnings. But, come new and exciting changes, there is a haunting dilemma that can plague every campus.

Sexual harassment is a issue for both men and women worldwide, especially among college students. “1 in 4 women in college today has been the victim of rape, and nearly 90% of them knew their rapist,” according to Robin Warshaw, (Information for Survivors, UNCW CARE). Freshman in particular are more likely to be affected by sexual assault because of the different social environment. Due to this, the first six weeks for college freshman is referred to as the “red zone,” being the most dangerous time for these college students in regards to rape or sexual harassment.

Orientation for incoming UNCW students provides extremely useful information on rape prevention, but all students could be reminded on how to stay safe in social situations. Some tips suggested by RAINN (Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network) on how to stay safe while hanging out, especially during the red zone, include:

Going in groups with friends that you trust is crucial, especially when attending social settings where drinking may be involved. Having someone there that you can trust will make the environment more comfortable and provide support in dangerous situations that could potentially occur. Safety in numbers may be a cliché saying, but should be taken seriously.

Never leave a drink sitting around, and don’t take drinks from someone you don’t know very well. If you go to the bathroom, or are in a situation where you want to put your drink down, don’t. It may be an inconvenience, but keeping an eye on what goes into your drink is important. Keeping a hand over the top of your beverage is a great way to prevent something being slipped into it. Also, if you don’t know someone very well and they offer you a drink, you can politely decline. There is no way to know if they put something in it or not.

Go with friends who will have your back, but also be an alert friend. Just like you would want someone watching out for your safety, be the friend who looks out for anything suspicious. Maybe hold a drink while a friend goes to the bathroom. Additionally, don’t let your friends go home with a stranger. It could have consequences, so be sure to know where the people you are with are at, at all times in a social setting (RAINN).

There is plenty of information and support for individuals who may have experienced sexual harassment, or want to learn more on prevention. UNCW resources that provide aid on sexual assault and rape include the CARE Office, Title IX Coordinator, the Counseling Center, University Police, Student Health Services and the Office of the Dean of Students.  The contact information and other resources can be found in the Information for Survivors provided by UNCW CARE online at www.uncw.edu/care