prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Problem With the Desensitization of Domestic Violence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

In wake of the recent video release of Ray Rice, social media has erupted in an outpouring of opinions of both Rice and the NFL. There are many posts that deserve a read, such as providing information on how to help a friend get away from their abuser, domestic violence hotlines or warning signs of domestic violence.

However, from what I’ve seen, the ignorant posts far outweigh the intelligent ones. One thing that I’ve seen repeatedly is, “imagine it’s your mother, sister or niece you’re hitting.” No–people should not have to imagine that she is a family member, but rather realize that she is a human being. She is a person. She is not your punching bag, your stress relief or your way to work out your demons.

It’s not only that social media users are not realizing this scandal is a real-life scenario that affects thousands of people each year, but some are going as far as to make jokes about domestic violence. While most of the active social media crusaders have been more than vocal in voicing their “disgust” and “disbelief” of Rice over the last week, how long will it be until this domestic crime is desensitized and turned into a horribly tasteless joke? Answer: Unfortunately, it has already become more than one meme.

When I wrote this article, it had been less than 36 hours since the full video of Rice was released. In only one Google search, these are the memes that showed up:

I’d like to ask those who are so shocked and disgusted by Ray Rice’s actions, yet are posting images that belittle domestic violence and turning it into a “joke” – why?  By posting memes and disparaging statuses, you’re dulling the severity of domestic violence. Even without physically assaulting someone, making light of an issue like domestic violence can undermine the seriousness of the situation. It detracts from the reality and turns the situation into a joke.

Because of all the hype and constant limelight surrounding celebrities and domestic violence, most people are unaware of how prevalent it is in our society. Most would not make a meme or status of a classmate or neighbor who had been beaten and bruised from being attacked, so why should it be acceptable to shame a stranger’s suffering? Rhetorical question, it’s not. Hiding behind a computer screen doesn’t make people brave- it’s cowardly.

Domestic violence is a behavior that is learned through observation, rather than an illness. Compassion and empathy are also learned behaviors. Set an example for your peers and social media followers by showing that you value your integrity more than getting a few likes or cheap laughs at someone else’s expense.