News Round Up: What You Might Have Missed This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Being a college student can get pretty hectic at times. If you haven’t had time to stay up-to-date on current events, don’t sweat it! Here at Her Campus, we’ve compiled a list of news highlights from last week–September 27th through October 3rd.

1. Planned Parenthood Hearing

Last week, the president of Planned Parenthood spoke out over controversial videos released. Head over to NBC News to find out what went down during the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee hearing and what this could mean for the future of Planned Parenthood.

2. First Ever Biofluorescent Sea Turtle Discovered

A team of marine biologists discovered the first ever biofluorescent reptile in the South Pacific. Not only is this article an interesting and informative read, the pictures of the creature are spectacular.

Photo via National Geographic.

3. Pope Francis Visited the US

As most have heard, Pope Francis visited the US early last week to inspire, guide, and bring together Americans. CNN Religion Editor, Daniel Burke, recounts the Pope’s journey through photos and videos.

4. A Personal Look into the Campaign of Donald Trump

Chief National Correspondent for the New York Times, Mark Leibovich had the opportunity to sit down with Donald Trump. Here, he recounts his experience with the 2016 Presidential front-runner.

5. Water Discovered on Mars

Water has been found on Mars! Sounds pretty awesome, and this article sums up the whole story nicely–including interesting pictures to go along with it. Check it out on CBS News.

Photo via CBS News.

6. Miracle Baby Celebrated First Birthday

This superstar baby has survived the impossible. Expected not live after birth, Jaxon Buell (born without large parts of his skull) recently celebrated his first birthday! Read about his extraordinary journey here.

Photo via CBS News.

7. New Presidential Poll Results Released

Data from a new poll concerning the presidential race has been released, and things aren’t looking good for Hillary Clinton or the GOP. Find out all the details over at MSNBC.

8. Super Moon and Lunar Eclipse

Here in Wilmington, our skies were covered in clouds. The moon was bright, but we weren’t able to see much of it. Re-live the experience by flipping through some pretty amazing photographs taken from around the world.

Photo via The Telegraph.

9. Obama and Cuba in Talks

Cuban officials are currently negotiating with President Obama about giving back Cuban land the US currently has control over. This effort is in an attempt to normalize tensions between the two historically feuding countries. Read the whole story at NBC News.

10. UNCW Men’s Soccer Gains Momentum

Due to having a stellar record so far, UNCW men’s soccer is working their way up in regional and national rankings. Check out all the facts and statistics at WECT6.

11. Hurricane Joaquin Was the Talk of the Weekend

As meteorologists tracked the path of Hurricane Joaquin, those on the East coast started to prepare for the worst. Here in North Carolina, the governor declared that we were in a “state of emergency.” Meanwhile, UNCW stayed open and nearly every college student tracked Joaquin’s progress as it moved further away from the coastline.

Hurricane Joaquin’s projected path, via The Weather Channel. 

Sarah is a senior at the University of North Carolina Wilmington, majoring in Creative Writing (with a Certificate in Publishing) and minoring in English and Psychology.  She is from a small suburb of the Twin Cities in Minnesota and chose to attend UNCW for all of the incredible learning opportunities.  Besides being a contributing writer and managing editor for Her Campus magazine, she is Secretary of Phi Sigma Pi National Honors Fraternity, member of the UNCW Rock Climbing Club, and a Trip Leader at Seahawk Adventures.  She is an avid reader, writer, and lover of all things outdoors.  Feel free to follow her on Twitter and Instagram.