This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Even though the end of the year can be a stressful time for everyone, one of the best parts about the holiday season (besides the food, yum) has to be the music. There is something so comforting and familiar about holiday music, even though most of the songs are terribly overplayed by the time January hits.

I thought I would take this opportunity to talk about some of my all-time favorite holiday songs. Although many of these songs have been around for decades, there are a few new releases that deserve recognition, too! Hopefully, these are songs you can add to your holiday playlist (if they aren’t already on there). 

1. “Last Christmas” by Wham!

Despite all of the remakes over the years, nothing tops the original version of this iconic song by Wham! It’s a classic, no matter how many times it gets played on the radio. The holiday season just wouldn’t be the same without it. 

2. “A Willie Nice Christmas” by Kacey Musgraves feat. Willie Nelson

Kacey Musgraves is perhaps less known for her Christmas music, but she does have two holiday albums out, including The Kacey Musgraves Christmas Show from her recent Amazon Prime special. However, this song (which is from her 2016 album, A Very Kacey Christmas) is easily one of my favorites. Featuring Willie Nelson, it’s a cute play on words that features some serious island vibes. 

3. “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” by Idina Menzel feat. Michael Bublé

Although this song is a bit controversial, this version by Idina Menzel and Michael Bublé is much more friendly and playful and overall easier to get behind. After listening to it once, you won’t be able to stop saying “opportunistic” (trust me). 

4. “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” by Justin Bieber

I may be biased toward Justin, but his version of this classic Christmas song is just too much fun too ignore. The claymation music video (appropriately modeled after the claymation movie of the same name from 1970) is also pretty cute—if that’s your thing. 

5. “True Love” by Ariana Grande

Ariana’s holiday EP, Christmas and Chill, features a handful of unique new holiday songs, many of which are romantic in nature. “True Love” is certainly one of them with lyrics that play off of “The 12 Days of Christmas.” It’s not traditional by any means, but that’s not always a bad thing!

6. “Christmas Makes Me Cry” by Kacey Musgraves

Kacey Musgraves has such good holiday music that she made the list twice. Unlike the other songs on this list, “Christmas Makes Me Cry” is super melancholic, emphasizing how this time of year isn’t always that great. Whether we can’t be with family for the holidays or are dealing with heartbreak, it’s difficult to feel “merry and bright” all the time.  

7. “Step Into Christmas” by Elton John

This song is on par with “Last Christmas” in terms of iconicism. Based on just how catchy this song is, I wish Elton had more holiday music to share with the world! 

8. “Sleigh Ride” by Miley Cyrus 

Miley recorded this song in 2017 as part of Spotify Singles – Holiday. She definitely manages to give this classic song a southern twist, having a lot of fun in the process. Yeehaw! 

For a full playlist of my favorite holiday songs, check out my Christmas Vibes playlist on Spotify. Happy holidays, everyone!

[gifs courtesy of Giphy]

Lindsay is a senior at UNCW studying Criminology and Sociology. When she's not contemplating the deeply rooted inequalities of the criminal justice system, she is either working out at the Rec Center or sitting in Starbucks with a coffee or tea in hand.
Julie is a positive senior from the University of North Carolina Wilmington. She is an inspiring travel journalist who is double majoring in Communication Studies and International Studies along with having a minor in Spanish. With a lot on her plate you can always catch her in the library or stress knitting in her apartment while bing-watching "Queer Eye" or "Parks and Rec".