Mardi Gras 2014: Green, Purple and Gold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

What comes to mind when you see the colors green, purple and gold? Well, for many Americans and others around the globe, the first thing that comes to mind is Mardi Gras. This year, just like every other year, thousands of people, young and old, made the trip to New Orleans to celebrate this exciting holiday.

Luckily for the students at UNC Wilmington, Mardi Gras coincided with spring break. The weather in Wilmington was far from “spring break like,” with rain, cool temperatures and clouds almost every day. Unfortunately, escaping to New Orleans wouldn’t have given spring breakers much good weather either. This year, New Orleans experienced unusually cold temperatures and rainy conditions throughout most of Mardi Gras, but that didn’t stop anyone from partaking in one of the biggest parties in the United States.

Although Mardi Gras is know for its exhilarating parties, strong drinks and delicious food, there is more to the week than meets the eye. Fat Tuesday marks the end of Mardi Gras each year; falling on Tuesday Mar. 5 this year.  Fat Tuesday is considered an official holiday in Louisiana, but Mardi Gras is celebrated for a few weeks prior. The most popular time to attend Mardi Gras is the weekend right before Fat Tuesday because the biggest and best parades take place during that weekend. People walk around downtown New Orleans adorned in lively costumes and vibrant beads watching the festivities. Since Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent, starts the day after Fat Tuesday, people make the most of Mardi Gras by living it up and having a great time.

So next year, when the first week in March rolls around, make plans to take a trip to Louisiana to experience this once in a lifetime celebration. No matter where you’re from, how old you are, or who you’re with, New Orleans is the perfect destination during the Mardi Gras festival. Grab everything you own that’s green, purple or gold and head down south next March for the celebration of a lifetime!