Malik Sanford: UNCW Homecoming King

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Name: Malik Sanford

Hometown: Mooresville, N.C.

Major: Exercise Science

Minor: Psychology

Year: Senior

Malik Sanford is a man that is capable of many things. In his four years as a Seahawk, he has been a Seahawk Link and a tour guide for SAND (Seahawk Admissions for Networking and Diversity), among many other things. He is currently an RA, group exercise instructor, President of Physical Graffeeti, member of NRHH (National Residence Hall Honorary), an associate member of Lambda Chi Alpha and the UNCW Homecoming King.

How does it feel to be royalty?

Well my name means “King” in Arabic, so it’s really ironic that I would be the king of anything. But it feels great to be the Homecoming King. UNCW means so much to me and it’s nice to know how much I mean to UNCW.

What do you think makes a good leader?

I think a good leader is someone who is always a leader, not just when they are in the spotlight, but twenty-four-seven. A good leader always leads by example. That’s the number one quality I think a leader should have.

What are your hobbies?

My hobbies include everything. I love trying new things. But, I guess the hobby that I’m good at would be dancing. I started dancing when I got to UNCW freshman year. I tried out for our hip-hop dance crew, Physical Graffeeti (PG), and I honestly thought I was going to get cut because tryouts were so hard and there were so many dancers. But, somehow I ended up being one of the select few to make it, and I have just grown so much as a dancer since. Now I am the leader of PG and it’s crazy to literally think that I literally started from the bottom and made it to the top.

What are your plans for the future?

My plans for the future are a little hazy, but I have to do an extra semester at UNCW, then I think I’m going to go abroad. Once I return, I will apply to graduate school for Exercise Physiology.

Favorite Quote?

A bird sitting on a tree is not afraid of the branch breaking, because its trust is not on the branch, but on its wings….” – Anonymous

Favorite Dance?

The one that Ellen did with Twitch from “So You Think You Can Dance!”

What is your favorite thing about UNCW?

My favorite thing about UNCW is that you can be whoever you want to be. When you get here freshman year, you’re like play-doh, young and malleable, but once you’re a senior the university has helped to shape you into the person that you’ve wanted to be. I’ve seen how all my freshman friends have grown and developed and it is like no transformation I have seen before. UNCW is also very accepting, so you can be yourself no matter what that may be.

How would your friends describe you?

My friends would probably describe me as dramatic. I have a tendency to gasp at insignificant events. They would also say I’m very involved, fun, accepting, nice and sassy.

Any advice for readers?

Branch out and meet as many people as you can while you can, because there’s no place like the dub.

Asia Francine Butler, known amongst her friends as "The Last of the Time Lords" is a professional student for the University of North Carolina Wilmington. After receiveing her International Baccalaureate Diploma in December of 2013 and being immersed in the friendly and lively atmosphere of UNCW, she decided to pursue a variety of interests, including, but not limited to writing for both Her Campus UNCW and Cape Fear Living Magazine, acting as an Orientation Leader for the International Students, being a Conversation Partner for the English as a Second Language students at UNCW, being a Peer Mentor for incoming International Students, and being a Historian in the Seahawk Crossing for the Residence Hall Association, being a Brother of the academic National Honors Fraternity, Phi Sigma Pi, and being a member of Sigma Alpha Lambda's honors society. She writes at least four articles a month, two for Her Campus UNCW and two for Cape Fear Living Mgazine, and has positively affected the lives of hundreds of international exchange students and UNCW students. Furthermore, she have positively affected and engaged in the lives of many people in the North Carolina community through volunteering with Habitat for Humanity UNCW, UNC Weekends, Burrito Bikers, and playing intramural soccer. Although she has a passion for writing, she is enrolled as a history major in the University of North Carolina Wilmington in preparation for entering law school in the Fall of 2016. While she enjoys temporarily living at the beach for most of her college career, her heart lies with her two adorable German Shepherds, Mitch and Maple along with the loving Butler parents and her two creative and beautiful younger sisters in Greensboro, North Carolina.