A Letter To My College Girlfriends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

To the incredible girlfriends I’ve met this year,

Let me just start out by saying how grateful I am for you and your friendship. Making the transition from high school to college has easily been the most terrifying thing I have ever experienced, and I cannot stress how much you have helped make this university feel like home. And yes, even if our dorms slightly resemble jail cells and the hot water may or may not work on any given day, there is no one else I would rather suffer, laugh, or complain about living the freshmen experience with. And speaking of our first year, can you believe it’s almost over? Not to mention, can you even fathom the idea that at one point, we didn’t have each other? Think about it: From the moment we met, we have been inseparable.

We’ve been there through the heartbreaks and the heartthrobs, the late night binges turned early morning gym sessions, the classes that made us pull our hair out and the ones that sparked inspiration from within us. We’ve filled our camera rolls with embarrassing Snapchat pictures of each other, blown up Instagram with edited pictures that make it look like we have our lives together, and consistently tag one another in ridiculous photos and videos on Facebook.

We’ve stood by each other through the questionable choices, protected one another from catty girls and hurtful boys, and have dragged ourselves out of bed at an ungodly hour to save the other from making a horrible decision. The point of all of this is to simply say thank you. Thank you for constantly providing me with love and support, playing such an incredible role in my life, and becoming the friend I never had but always needed. You have taught me the importance of friendship in such a short period of time and that is something I will never be able to thank you enough for.

You know all there is to know about me and have helped me grows in ways I didn’t believe possible. You have become so much more than a friend to me; you are my workout partner, study date, and makeup artist; you are my support system, therapist, and lifeline; you are my strength, motivation, and encouragement. You are part of who I am and there is no way in h*ll that I would have been able to survive this year of change and adjustment without you standing next to me through it all.

As college students, we are constantly told by our parents, older family members, and professors that these are the years that we will establish lifelong friendships and create memories that we will cherish for the rest of our lives. And in less than a year, I have found all of those things to be true. To the girls that have made my first year of college so special, thank you for everything. I can’t wait to see what the next three years bring us.

Gabriella is a twenty-something Floridian who has taken her love of waterfront living and sandy toes to Wilmington, NC! When she's not imprinting her body frame on the beach or stocking up on excessive jars of peanut butter, Gabriella can be found in the lines of Dunkin Donuts scrolling through Pinterest in the search of the perfect apartment decor. Her dream profession is to work for a women's magazine with an emphasis on millennial empowerment. Follow her on Twitter, @gabby_dionisio!