This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Name: Laura Smith

Year: Junior

Hometown: Hull, England

Major: Marketing

Relationship Status: Single

Meet Laura Smith, a junior who has been studying abroad from the United Kingdom for the past academic year. While adjusting to America’s culture is a difficult task, Laura was able to accomplish and make the most of her time here in the United States. Laura’s friends describe her as cheerful, loving, intelligent and enthusiastic. Read on to learn more about Laura’s interests and her experiences studying abroad at UNCW.   

HC: What’s a perfect date like for you?

LS: Getting takeout cheesecake from the cheesecake factory followed by fishing with a couple of beers.

HC: What’s your favorite thing about being a student at UNCW?

LS: My favorite thing about being a UNCW student is all of the activities you can do. I played indoor and outdoor intramural soccer both semesters I’ve been here and I’ve loved it.

HC: What’s been your favorite thing about America so far?

LS: My favorite thing about America is the sports and the patriotism. The national anthem before every sporting event gives me goose bumps.

HC: What’s been your most awkward moment at UNCW so far?

LS: I’m quite clumsy and I tripped over my own feet and fell over on Chancellor’s Walk once.

HC: Favorite sport?

LS: My favorite sport has to be soccer, I’ve played since I was 11, but I will watch pretty much anything.

HC: What or who is your spirit animal?

LS: I would probably say I was like an elephant because they’re strong, intelligent, loyal and are unstoppable.

HC: Celebrity crush? 

LS: The country artists’ Kip Moore and Brett Eldredge.

HC: Favorite quote?

LS: “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.”

HC: If you were a member of the Spice Girls, who would you be and why?

LS: I would be Sporty Spice because I have always been the sporty one in my group of friends.

HC: If you were a Disney Princess, who would you be and why?

LS: The Disney princess I would be is Mulan. She is strong and will do anything for her family and she isn’t scared of a challenge.

Asia Francine Butler, known amongst her friends as "The Last of the Time Lords" is a professional student for the University of North Carolina Wilmington. After receiveing her International Baccalaureate Diploma in December of 2013 and being immersed in the friendly and lively atmosphere of UNCW, she decided to pursue a variety of interests, including, but not limited to writing for both Her Campus UNCW and Cape Fear Living Magazine, acting as an Orientation Leader for the International Students, being a Conversation Partner for the English as a Second Language students at UNCW, being a Peer Mentor for incoming International Students, and being a Historian in the Seahawk Crossing for the Residence Hall Association, being a Brother of the academic National Honors Fraternity, Phi Sigma Pi, and being a member of Sigma Alpha Lambda's honors society. She writes at least four articles a month, two for Her Campus UNCW and two for Cape Fear Living Mgazine, and has positively affected the lives of hundreds of international exchange students and UNCW students. Furthermore, she have positively affected and engaged in the lives of many people in the North Carolina community through volunteering with Habitat for Humanity UNCW, UNC Weekends, Burrito Bikers, and playing intramural soccer. Although she has a passion for writing, she is enrolled as a history major in the University of North Carolina Wilmington in preparation for entering law school in the Fall of 2016. While she enjoys temporarily living at the beach for most of her college career, her heart lies with her two adorable German Shepherds, Mitch and Maple along with the loving Butler parents and her two creative and beautiful younger sisters in Greensboro, North Carolina.