Jeff Hill: Aspiring Actor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Age:23

Year:Junior

Major: Theater Performance

Hometown: Roswell, New Mexico

Actor Jeff Hill is no stranger to the limelight. He is passionate about his goals, and he has a true love for acting. He says he isn’t in it for the money or the fame. Other than acting, he has also worked behind the scenes and has an interest in modeling. When he’s not on the set, or working on a role, you can find Jeff on the River Walk downtown Wilmington, or at the beach. Jeff transferred from East Carolina Uuniversity, where he participated in Sigma Tau Gamma.  

HC: At what age did you begin acting?

JH: I started acting a year and a half ago, it started with being an extra in “A Short History of Decay.”

HC: What was your most memorable role?

JH: My first role was in “Bad Tip,” for which I won “Best Actor” at campus movie festival at ECU in 2013.

HC: So you’re majoring in Theater Performance. Do you just focus on acting, or other aspects of performance?

JH: Along with acting and writing, I have also worked on different sets doing crew jobs, such as sound, lighting, grip, etc. (I also worked as an assistant director for “The Hollow Oak”, a commercial, and a production assistant).

HC: Which aspect of film and performance is your favorite?

JH: I definitely prefer acting over writing.

HC: Who is the most interesting person you’ve had the opportunity to work with?

JH: Melissa McCarthy. While working with her on “Tammy,” I learned that when you screw up, just keep going; mistakes can end up benefitting your performance. But I have met and worked with many amazing and very talented people, like Logan Bennett, Tanner Martinelli, Chris Mathews, and many others who are still close friends till this day.

HC: What advice do you have for students interested in the industry?

JH: If I had to give someone advice, it would be to network, network, NETWORK! And never burn any bridges if you don’t have to. Also, never give up, and never let failure or being denied discourage you from accomplishing your dream. This is a very competitive industry, and you truly do need to have a “thick skin,” and you have to work your ASS off to get far! Life is too short to be unhappy, so always follow your dreams, and do not ever settle for anything less!

HC: Tell us a little-known fact about yourself.

JH: Along with being an actor and going to school, I am finishing my sixth year of service with the Army National Guard. I am a musician, athlete, adrenaline junkie, extreme sports enthusiast, and know ASL [American Sign Language].

HC: Random question – what is your favorite pizza topping?

JH: I love Hawaiian from Papa John’s.

HC: Anything else you’d like to add?

JH: I have a lot of big things coming up in the near future (that I can’t fully talk about just yet!)

Appearances:

• “Bad Tip”
  • “Tammy” – Worked with Melissa McCarthy and had his costume fitting at Screen Gem Studios of Wilmington.
  • “The Hollow Oak” – Jeff came into this production as an extra, and was asked to be an assistant producer, then assistant director!
  • “The Lake of Spinning Fire”- A short film, which was shot in only two days. Jeff says, “We had to do a lot in a little bit of time.” The time was limited because the film was being entered for the Ron Howard Competition.

Want more? Check out these links!

IMDb

800casting

Facebook Page

Twitter

Sierra is a Communication Studies major, and finally a senior! In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is the Lifestyles Editor for UNCW's student newspaper, The Seahawk. She is the Social Media Chair for the university's Style and Modeling Company (STYMO). In her free time, you can most likely find her catching a concert at Ziggy's by the Sea in downtown Wilmington.