This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

For most of the class of 2019, graduation is less than 40 days away. Everyone is getting excited. They are applying to jobs and grad schools, getting ready to move back home or across the country, and are ready to walk across the stage to become a Seahawk Alum. However, for a small few, graduation is still more than 250 days away. These Seahawks aren’t planning for their full-time jobs, or where they will live this summer. They still have 1 more semester to go. As one of these December graduates, I understand the struggles that they are going through when seeing all of the May graduates prepare for their future.

Honestly, it is frustrating. I am at the point in my life where I just want to be free to move on to the next stage of my life. I am ready to interview for “adult” jobs and figure out where I am going after receiving my diploma. I am ready to plan my life beyond what classes I am going to take next semester. I have already planned what I want to do after graduation, but I still have to wait 250 days to achieve those plans. There are days where I just want to be out there and be a full “adult” that doesn’t have to worry about paper and exams. I love talking about my plans for the future and where I am going to move and what I am going to do with my life. I get anxiety about how I feel like I am stuck in a place where I can’t get out. 

With graduation for me still months away, I just have to accept that I am “stuck”. As much as I want out, there isn’t anything I can do about it. I just have to accept the fact that I am not graduating in May like several of my friends. I need to keep my anxiety at bay with focusing on making next semester the best I can. Next semester is going to be very stressful and hard with actually applying for jobs and getting ready for the next stage of my life, but I am actually really excited about that part of my life. I am ready to experience all of those things. I know that it is difficult to think about it now, but I know that it really is going to be an amazing experience when I can finally walk across that stage in December 2019 as a graduate.

To all of those graduating in May, good luck with everything that you do. You are going to do some amazing things. The December graduates, hang in there. The next semester is going to fly by before you know it and when you look up it will be time for you to walk across that stage.

Jessica is a senior majoring in Film Studies and minoring in Business. She is set to graduate in December. After graduation, she plans to pursue a career in Film focusing on pre-production. Being a part of the Her Campus chapter at UNCW has helped Jessica branch out in her writing and explore new interest.