Life > Experiences

How I Made UNCW Home as a Transfer Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Being a transfer student can be scary, exciting, nerve-wracking, and, most of all, confusing. You feel like you are back to freshman year all over again. You may have some friends or roommates, but it doesn’t feel like your place yet. 

I walked on to UNCW’s campus knowing no one. I had briefly texted my roommates, but I didn’t know them that well. I kept trying to figure out why I wasn’t connecting with the people around me, and if I would ever find my place here. 

Slowly, my roommate dragged me out to a few events, and I began feeling like I was getting more acclimated with UNCW. But, I still felt like this wasn’t my place yet. Just going out to events with my roommate gave me the confidence to go out and do things on my own and meet people on my own. I started to talk to people I sat next to in classes and grabbed coffee with classmates.

Talking to people was hard; it felt like everyone had their own study or friend group. But, I also didn’t feel super alone anymore. Slowly, I was planting roots and feeling more comfortable. But, I just felt like there was more I could be doing, more people I could be meeting.  

Then something miraculous happened. At the Involvement Carnival, I took a leap and signed myself up for as many interesting-sounding groups as possible. I took it into my own hands to find my people and make UNCW my home. I signed up for the Stand Up Paddleboard Club, Her Campus, Delight, and a handful of other clubs (all while getting a ton of free stuff – definitely go to the Involvement Carnival.) Just signing up felt like I was taking charge of finding my place here. 

Being a transfer student is hard, but it isn’t the end. And this advice isn’t just for transfer students: freshman and anyone else that wants to find out how to get more involved should jump in and try to get involved as much as possible. College is a lot shorter than you think. Make lots of friends, and gain as experience as much as you want. Join that club that you’ve been hesitant on or scared that you won’t be good enough for.  

Take it into your own hands. Sign up for every club that sounds interesting and get to know people. It’s not too late to join clubs. Check out WaveLink to see all of the organizations here on campus. 

Rosie Garcia is a fun loving and adventurous person. Loves morning tea, the color yellow, gummy worms, and making stickers.