Hollywood’s Bleeding: Best Songs from the Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

If you’re like me, you probably got super excited when Post Malone dropped Hollywood’s Bleeding last week. After releasing a number of singles over the last several months, receiving an entire album from the beloved Posty was a dream come true for fans everywhere. I’ve personally spent the last week listening to this album non-stop and don’t get me wrong — nearly every song is amazing in its own way. But as with every album, some songs just stand out more than others. Here are my top five favorites from Posty’s latest:

5. “Staring at the Sun (feat. SZA)

A Posty/SZA collab is a collab no one knew they needed until now. While the two appeared on the “Homemade Dynamite Remix” with Lorde and Khalid a few years ago, this is the first time they’ve actually paired up for a song together. “Staring at the Sun” is more of a song than a rap (compared to other tracks), giving off major “Sunflower” vibes with both Posty’s singing style and style of music. With that being said, it can definitely be considered one of the more upbeat, lighthearted tracks on the album. Not to mention the fact that Posty and SZA’s voices together are really something magical. Overall, this song and its message are a nice breather from the other dark themes on the album. 

4. “I’m Gonna Be

If you’ve been looking for a new hype-up song to get you through the week, this might be it. While this song is easy on the ears, the message is honestly the best part. In “I’m Gonna Be”, Posty basically tells us that he’s going to do whatever he wants. Not only that, but he also plans on “going hard until he’s gone.” It’s a message we can all take to heart, whatever “going hard until we’re gone” might mean to us. For Post Malone, it might mean partying hard and that’s perfectly fine. Regardless, it’s important for us all to not care too much about what other people think and live life to the fullest. “I’m Gonna Be” can serve as that reminder. 

3. “Circles

Although this song came out a week or so before the full album, it is still one of my favorites overall. In general, it’s a rather peaceful song, one that I find it pretty easy to vibe to during a quiet evening. It also does a great job of showcasing Posty’s range as an artist. He’s capable of more hip-hoppy music, as we know, but is also capable of keeping it gentle on other tracks. If you haven’t already, you should check out the video for this song. The only thing that’s better than Post Malone is Post Malone in a suit of armor. 

2. “Take What You Want” (feat. Ozzy Osbourne and Travis Scott)

When I first saw that Ozzy Osbourne was on this track, I sort of lost my mind. I initially thought the song would include a sample of an older Ozzy song but nope, this is a full, original Ozzy Osbourne feature. This song definitely leans more towards being a rock ‘n roll anthem – and how could it not with Ozzy Osbourne present? – but never loses Posty’s iconic sound. Say what you want about this album, but Post Malone really manages to branch out into different genres of music all within the span of 16 (!!!) tracks. From rock to hip-hop to pop, this man can really do it all. Enlisting the help of Ozzy Osbourne and Travis Scott doesn’t hurt, either.

1. “A Thousand Bad Times

“A Thousand Bad Times” is arguably one of the best songs on the album. It’s truly an anthem for anyone who finds themselves continuously overcoming adversity, particularly in regards to toxic relationships. In the song’s chorus, Posty challenges anyone who tries to tear him down with one simple reminder: “It’s gonna take a lot more than that to kill me!” In particular, one of the best lines of the song is, “Thank you for the grave, I needed me a place to sleep.” Talk about making the best of a bad situation! I’m not quite sure what Posty’s been through in his life, but this song is proof that he’s ready for whatever life throws his way next. Perhaps this is the hip-hop version of “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)” by Kelly Clarkson? 

Hollywood’s Bleeding is now available for streaming, so please go take a listen!

[Gifs courtesy of Giphy.]

Lindsay is a senior at UNCW studying Criminology and Sociology. When she's not contemplating the deeply rooted inequalities of the criminal justice system, she is either working out at the Rec Center or sitting in Starbucks with a coffee or tea in hand.