Femme Rock Benefit Fest in Downtown Wilmington

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Her Campus UNCW is teaming up with Athenian Press & Workshops, a local non-profit aiming to create a space and provide resources for women and femme writers in the community, to host a night full of live music and women power! Come join us at the Femme Rock Benefit Fest this Sunday, November 19th, at Flytrap Brewery. Doors open at 4:00 pm and music will go from 5:00-9:00 pm. There will also be a food truck and chances to win local raffle prizes!

Athenian Press & Workshop’s Kickstarter campaign goes through the month of November, and they are trying to raise $30,000 by the 30th to start this local non-profit. Athenian Press & Workshops will allow women and femme-identifying writers, artists, and creators to gather in a safe space full of resources, books, workshops space, drinks, food, and more. Women and femme writers have such little visibility in the literary world, and Athenian Press & Workshops wants to create the means to change this by helping local women and femme writers get their work out there. It will also be a space for community events such as open mic nights, poetry slams, live music performances, meet and greets, book clubs, and more. Athenian Press & Workshops will help the Wilmington and beyond communities come together to form a space that is safe for all to come and utilize much-needed support and resources to help women and femme writers gain more traction in the literary sphere. 

So come on out to Flytrap Brewery on Sunday, November 19th from 5:00-9:00 pm and listen to some awesome local femme-power bands. Her Campus is proud to support Athenian Press & Workshops in all the work they do, and we hope to see you there supporting them as well!

For more information or to donate to the cause, visit Athenian Press & Workshop’s website

[Photo credit to Anna Mann and Tish Yvette]

Maddie is a senior at UNCW majoring in English Literature with a Professional Writing Certificate and minoring in Women's Gender Studies.