The Cape Fear Serpentarium

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

The Cape Fear Serpentarium

I recently got the chance to visit the Cape Fear Serpentarium in Downtown Wilmington. This exhibition is the largest reptile museum and zoo in North Carolina, holding at least 150 animals at a time. The serpentarium currently holds 40 species of venomous snakes, three species of crocodile and a multitude of exotic lizards.

The Serpentarium was founded and is owned by avid snake lover, Dean Ripa. He took a serious interest in snakes at a very young age, collecting snakes near his house when he was still in elementary school. He is now a herpetologist who has decided to share his love of reptiles with the world through this incredible attraction.

Initially, I wasn’t too keen on going to an enclosed room full of snakes. Even though I knew they would be behind glass, the idea of being so close to that many snakes freaked me out. Being aware there were over 40 animals in the building that could easily kill me was a bit overwhelming, but much to my surprise, my experience at the serpentarium was amazing.

A very knowledgeable member of the staff guided us through the exhibits and he informed us about what kind of animal each cage contained. Just a few species of snakes I got to see included: King Cobra, Black Mamba, Burmese Python and Eastern Diamond Back Rattlesnake. I didn’t personally get to watch, but in the afternoons they feed the snakes and the feedings are open for the public to watch. After we explored the museum through and through, we got the opportunity to hold a snake. I knew if I didn’t take the opportunity then, I would probably never get the chance again. So despite my fear, I got my picture taken as the snake wrapped itself up my arm.

The Serpentarium was not an attraction I ever expected myself to enjoy, but now I would recommend it to everyone, even people with snake phobias. While it was a bit threatening at first, learning more about these unique animals made me completely change how I feel about snakes. So, if you have some free time in the future I highly recommend taking a trip down to Wilmington’s waterfront to check out the Cape Fear Serpentarium.

If you would like to learn more about the Cape Fear Serpentarium, visit www.capefearserpentaium.com for more information!