Calling All Dog Lovers: All About UNCW’s Assistant Dog Training Program

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Many people have heard of UNCW’s Assistant Dog Training Program, supported by the paws4people organization.  It is UNCW’s and paws4people’s mission to train highly intelligent dogs as service animals for people with physical, neurological, or psychological disabilities.  The  program is a part of the recreational therapy department, but many students outside of this major participate in the program.

I recently spoke with two UNCW students currently in the program and they told me all about what it takes to be an assistant dog trainer.  Katie Knight is a sophomore majoring in Marine Biology and originally from Dillsburg, PA.  She is currently in her second semester in the program.  Amanda Baity is a senior majoring in Biology and originally from Thomasville, NC.  She is currently completing her fourth and final semester in the program.

Read on to find out about more about what it takes to be an assistant dog trainer (and see adorable dog pictures, of course)!

This cutie is Yancy, Amanda’s dog-in-training.

HC: What is the goal/mission of the assistant dog training program?

AB: Our mission is to enhance the lives of those living with serious illnesses or disabilities by utilizing highly trained assistance dogs.

HC: Why did you want to become involved in the program/course?

KK: I met some of the students who are already in the program and was really interested in joining.

AB: I’ve always loved being around animals, so after I heard the class required that you spend time around dogs I was sold.  I never expected to gain so much more from the program.  

HC: The program is on a four semester track.  What are you doing and learning in each stage of the process?

KK: In the first class, you learn about the different types of service dogs and the many reasons why someone might need a service dog.  You’re also introduced to some of the clients and they show you why all of this truly matters. During the second class, you learn how to train and read the dogs’ behaviors.  You’re being prepared for challenges you might run into when you are finally caring for a dog-in-training. The third and fourth classes are both the public access training of the dogs.

AB: The third and fourth classes are the hands on portion of the program.  You and a partner are assigned a dog, who will become your main focus.  For the third class, you’ll be training them how to behave in public places such as in class, restaurants, and doctor’s offices.  During the fourth class you begin working with the dog and their client.  This is called transfer training and is when the client learns how to interact with their new dog, and it’s also an opportunity for the dog to get to know their new family.

Amanda and Yancy

HC: What is one of the best things about training a dog for service?

AB: Definitely seeing the bond the dog has with their client.  Of course, the dogs grow attached to their assigned trainers, but as soon as they see their client it’s like a bond that’s been taken to a whole other level.

HC: What has been the biggest challenge you’ve faced being an assistant dog trainer?

KK: I have yet to train any of the dogs but from the tastes of training I’ve been exposed to in the second class, it’s been difficult remembering which commands go to what tasks because some of them can be close in wording but mean different things.

AB: Probably remembering that they are, in fact, assistance dogs and not just regular pets.  Therefore, they have different rules that apply to them, because even though they do have down time where they’re allowed to run around and play like normal dogs, they have to learn how to tell the difference between when they’re allowed to play and when they should be working.

HC: Beyond learning how to become an awesome dog trainer, what other skills have you acquired through your experience in the course?

KK: Reading body language of people and dogs more and understanding interactions between the two.

AB: The course has really helped me with my people skills, because people are always coming up and asking to pet them.

Amanda (left) and other UNCW students celebrating Yancy’s birthday!

HC: When you’re finally able to look after a dog-in-training, what are your roles and expectations for caring for the animal?

AB: You’re expected to keep them active and healthy.  Of course, you have to give them food and water, but you also have to give them baths and clean their teeth and ears. 

KK: It will be a lot of work and diligence on my part since I’m going to be in charge of the welfare of this precious animal, but the work that they’ll do at the end of the program is worth all of it.

HC: Describe what an untrained puppy acts like compared to a trained service dog who has just graduated from the program.  In other words, how should the dog progress through the program?

KK: The puppies are very energetic and playful, but they learn how to be calm and focused when they are wearing their vest. Basically, they grow up and become more responsible and responsive to their environment in order to benefit the client that they have become bonded to during the process.

AB: Untrained puppies are very energetic and playful.  We begin training them as early as one-week old with neurological stimulation and stress control, then move onto socialization and exposure by week seven. When they’re sixteen weeks old they enter into the paws4prisons training program, where inmates train the dogs to learn all of their commands. Once they’re a year old they are assigned to two UNCW student trainers where they go through public access training and transfer training.

HC: Is it difficult, once you have responsibility for a dog, to keep up with other activities or obligations?

AB: I don’t believe so, but like most students I have those days where I’m in class from morning till evening and the dog will of course need to be walked.  So this is one reason why the dogs are assigned partners instead of a single student, so that days like this can be avoided and the dog gets the care it needs.

HC: Where do the dogs go once their training has been completed?

AB: With their client! They go home with their client and become a member of that family, just a very special and helpful member.

HC: It seems like you’d grow pretty close with the dog you’ve been training.  Is it hard to let them go after spending so much time with them?

AB: Throughout the classes I told myself I wouldn’t worry about it until that day came.  Well, that day is coming in just a few weeks for my dog now. Yes, it’s hard because you’ve bonded with them and been able to see the progress they’ve made, but at the same time you’ve seen the bond they have with their client and you know how much they’re going to help them out so it makes things easier.

I’m not sure any more adorableness can be contained in one photo.

HC: Are you allowed to stay in touch with the new owners of the dog once they’ve been handed off?

AB: Of course.  We’re already Facebook friends! Even though the dog has ended their training, they, along with their new family, are now a part of the paws4people family and we have events every year that even some of the first clients still come to.

HC: What type of person would you recommend this program to?

AB: Any person who loves animals, wants to make a difference in someone’s life, or enjoys seeing something grow up to be outstanding.

HC: Is there anything else you want to add?

AB: Take the classes!  You’ll gain more from it than you could ever expect.

To find out more information about the paws4people assistant dog training program, you can visit their webpage: paws4people.org.

Can’t get enough of the cuteness?  Come visit our Her Campus table outside of Randall Library on Wednesday, April 29 from 10:30a.m. to 12:30p.m. to give these sweet animals some love!

Images courtesy of Amanda Baity and the paws4people Foundation.

Sarah is a senior at the University of North Carolina Wilmington, majoring in Creative Writing (with a Certificate in Publishing) and minoring in English and Psychology.  She is from a small suburb of the Twin Cities in Minnesota and chose to attend UNCW for all of the incredible learning opportunities.  Besides being a contributing writer and managing editor for Her Campus magazine, she is Secretary of Phi Sigma Pi National Honors Fraternity, member of the UNCW Rock Climbing Club, and a Trip Leader at Seahawk Adventures.  She is an avid reader, writer, and lover of all things outdoors.  Feel free to follow her on Twitter and Instagram.