Azalea Festival Bringing the Community Together

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Wilmington’s rich history is displayed everywhere in town for any resident or visitor to enjoy. And it’s that time of the year again where all of this history is showcased through the Azalea Festival, which displays an appreciation for our community. There are many events held each year for the festival showcasing a diversity of artwork, historical events, culture and much more allowing everybody to participate in relishing the Wilmington community.

The main events for the Azalea Festival this year will be occurring from April 9-13. There are plenty of activities and spectacles to see during the festival and many are listed online

Check out this list of recommended events to attend!

Cole Bros Circus

From April 10-13 don’t miss out on the Cole Bros Circus located at the Cape Fear Fair & Expo Grounds. Many different types of animals, gymnasts, clowns and more will be presented at the fair, and this circus could be a good date on a Friday night or something fun to do if you find yourself bored on a Saturday afternoon!

Off Beaten Path Tour

If you like country music, this is an event you might want to consider attending. On his Off The Beaten Path tour, Justin Moore will be featured on stage along with Randy Houser and Josh Thompson as the opening acts. This event will be held on April 10th at 8 p.m. Ticket prices are $31.50. 

Picture provided by countrymusicislove.com

Street Fair

The Street Fair at the Azalea Festival, although very family oriented, has a lot for us college students to do, as well. For example, there are a wide variety of booths featuring vendors that sell jewelry, t-shirts and more. There will also be many vendors selling wine, local foods and plenty of treats to indulge in, such as funnel cakes and deep fried Oreos. This event will held be at various times from April 11-13 in downtown Wilmington on Water, Front and Market Street.

Widespread Panic

Another featured artist at the Azalea Festival will be Widespread Panic. This band is coming back from a 10 month hiatus and will be performing their rock style at  the Miller Lite Main State on North Front Street between Hanover and Brunswick Street. There will be a general admission on April 11th at 8 p.m., and on April 12th there will be general admission along with special VIP at 8 p.m.. Ticket prices are listed here.

Pictured provided by widespreadpanic.com