This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Prepare yourselves–Thanksgiving is upon us! Yes, every year your eyes are bigger than your stomachs; you pile the deliciousness that is turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing and pumpkin pie onto your plates, and go back for seconds, thirds, even fourths! Feel guilty? Feel like you over-indulged? Don’t worry about it because there are many ways to prevent feeling miserable!

Before eating, take these tips into account.

1. Understand different portion sizes.

How much turkey is appropriate to eat if you want to save room for those mashed potatoes or that pumpkin pie? Portion out each food type on your plate because there are always leftovers and the food is not going anywhere. It may help to start off with small-sample servings on your plate.

2. Take your precious time.

Thanksgiving is valuable time to spend with your family, relatives, and friends. There should be no rush to finish or vacuum up your plate of food. So relax, sit back, and enjoy each tasty bite while appreciating time with loved ones.

3. Stay hydrated with plenty of water.

With eating all kinds of foods, and abnormal amounts of it, make sure you stay hydrated. Water will allow your digestive system to properly break down the heavy foods you consume. Water will also help balance your metabolism and flush out unwanted toxins in your body. Take a break from the cider and wine and have some good ol’ fashioned H2O!

4. Take a relaxing walk.

After your food settles offer to take a walk with your family. A brisk walk will help to keep you off of the couch and to break away from more food and indoor chaos. You could even throw in a light jog if you wanted to!

The next morning you may still feel full and a bit sluggish. The best tips to follow are:

1. Drink a full glass of lemon water.

As stated before, water will balance your metabolism and boost your immune system. Adding lemon not only gives it flavor but has health benefits, such as freshening skin and builds up potassium and vitamin C levels.

2. Stay active.

Still have company over? Stay active by going to the soccer fields, on a light run, or even black Friday shopping. As long as you’re moving and active, you’ll start to feel less sluggish and lazy.

3. Give thanks.

We can’t forget what this holiday is all about–give thanks for time well spent, memories, and laughter. Reflect back on the good times and look to what will come ahead–Christmas and New Years!

Everyone have a great holiday and CHEERS!

Hello! My name is Carlen Burch and I am a Junior at UNCW. I love adventuring, traveling, photography, running and all things outdoors. I also love being happy and positive :) PURA VIDA MAE