8 Healthy Snacks to Get You Through Exam Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Exam week is upon us, fellow collegiates! And with exam week, comes late nights and lots of stress.  I’m not sure about you, but I always start craving unhealthy foods when I’m stressed.  While you may be inclined to grab Hostess cupcakes, bars of chocolate, or sweet treats to munch on, instead go for healthy alternatives to keep you energized and awake for longer!  A healthy snack will help keep you focused and alert in the midst of studying and exams.  Plus, you won’t feel guilty later, when the stress has been lifted, for indulging in something not-so-healthy.

Check out our top 8 healthy exam snacks, and try them out for yourself!

1. Lightly Salted Popcorn

Pop up some popcorn and pretend like you don’t have tons of final projects, papers, and exams to take. Popcorn often seems unhealthy since it’s usually associated as a movie snack, and it is if you drown your kernels in rivers of butter; however, plain popcorn provides a great source for whole grains, fiber and antioxidants.  So, instead of greasing up those fingers, opt for plain popcorn (and if you need a bit more flavor, sparingly add salt).

2. Nuts

Instead of chips, go for the nuts! Nuts are great for a variety of reasons: they’re easy to munch on throughout the day, lower your cholesterol, are high in Omega-3 fatty acids, help keep your heart as healthy as can be and suppress your appetite! When you’re at the store, make sure to buy either almonds, pistachios, or cashews, since these are the best for your health.

3. Apples

You know what they say: “An apple a day keeps the doctor away!” There are a whole host of benefits to eating apples: high in fiber, low in calories, their sweet taste and their immune-boosting Vitamin C.  Plus, they’re easy enough to prepare–simply throw it in your backpack or cut it into slices.  In either case, you can be chowing down and reaping the benefits in no time.

4. Greek Yogurt Covered Craisins

This treat is one of my favorites! Craisins, in general, are delicious, but yogurt covered Craisins taste almost like you’re actually eating candy.  They’re sweet and scrumptious, without adding many calories to your diet.  Plus, they come in a re-sealable pouch, which makes them the perfect snack when you’re on-the-go. Be warned: a handful will eventually turn into the whole bag, so make sure to pace yourself as you eat to keep this a healthy alternative.

5. Whole Grain Crackers with Peanut Butter

I’m not sure about you, but peanut butter has become one of my favorite types of smear.  Eating whole grain crackers with a peanut butter spread is the perfect blend of cream and crunch.  Peanut butter has similar health benefits as nuts and with the addition of whole grain crackers, you’re getting a low-fat, high-vitamin snack.

6. Luna Energy Bars

Mix and match the various flavors the Luna Bar brand offers! These bars are a great source of fats, carbs, and protein.  But the benefits don’t stop there! Luna bars are also made with 70 percent organic ingredients and are packed with Vitamin D. Buy any irresistible flavor and it really will taste like you’re eating a candy bar.

7. Vegetables with Dip

The best thing about this delicious snack is that the on campus markets have pre-packaged small veggie trays so there’s essentially no preparation on your part.  The veggies are fresh, easy to carry, and convenient for studying anywhere!  If you have more time, chop up your own vegetables or make your own low-fat dip.  Have fun with it, try out different recipes or veggie combos, and relax for an hour or two!

8. Pita Chips with Salsa or Hummus

Pita chips are yummy, but the real health benefits come with what you’re dipping them in.  Similar to other snacks in this list, fresh salsa is a great source for vitamins, like A and C, and adds to your overall vegetable intake for the day.  Hummus is a middle-eastern dip made from chickpeas that provides your body with unsaturated fats, fiber, and protein, which will help keep you fuller for longer.  Whichever you choose to dip those pita chips in, know that each has its own unique health benefits that your body will thank you for later!

Sarah is a senior at the University of North Carolina Wilmington, majoring in Creative Writing (with a Certificate in Publishing) and minoring in English and Psychology.  She is from a small suburb of the Twin Cities in Minnesota and chose to attend UNCW for all of the incredible learning opportunities.  Besides being a contributing writer and managing editor for Her Campus magazine, she is Secretary of Phi Sigma Pi National Honors Fraternity, member of the UNCW Rock Climbing Club, and a Trip Leader at Seahawk Adventures.  She is an avid reader, writer, and lover of all things outdoors.  Feel free to follow her on Twitter and Instagram.