7 Perfect 80s & 90s Movies for a Night in

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

It’s that time of the year where it is getting too expensive to go out every weekend. So to try and save a little money, you can start inviting some friends over, eating some pizza, and watching some of these classic movies.

Sixteen Candles (1984)

The Queen of the 80s, Molly Ringwald, plays a sassy teenager named Samantha during her interesting weekend when her parents forgot about her 16th birthday.

Mermaids (1990)

Nothing screams the 90s more than a movie that stars Cher and Winona Ryder! Mermaids is a charming movie that touches on the complicated relationship between a wild mother and a responsible daughter.

The Princess Bride (1987)

This is one of the most quotable movies around and if you haven’t seen it, I swear you are missing out on life. Yes, it is filled with that mushy-gushy love stuff but it has cool fight scenes and a sense of adventure.

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986)

Faking a sickness. “Borrowing” dad’s car. Crashing a Chicago parade. Walking through famous art museums. This is what happens during Ferris’s day off from school.

Clue (1985)

Clue is my favorite board game of all time and the movie lives up to the hype. The entire movie is like watching a game unfold before your eyes with the actual characters roaming around the mansion.

National Lampoon’s Vacation (1983)

The Griswold family decides to take a road trip from Illinois to an amusement park in California for vacation. Like every Griswold event, something has to go wrong along the way.

Steel Magnolias (1989)

This beautiful movie starring Julia Roberts, Sally Fields, and Dolly Parton shows the importance of women bonding and unconditional family love. 

[Photos Courtesy of Google images]

Julie is a positive senior from the University of North Carolina Wilmington. She is an inspiring travel journalist who is double majoring in Communication Studies and International Studies along with having a minor in Spanish. With a lot on her plate you can always catch her in the library or stress knitting in her apartment while bing-watching "Queer Eye" or "Parks and Rec".