This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Resume, resume, resume…that’s one of the buzzword students hear during their college careers. For many of us, thinking about jobs after college, especially on what’s on our resume, can be stressful. On top of classes and studying, you have to think about resumes, too?

But don’t stress! There are easy ways to implement resume-builders in your everyday life. Here’s a list of five things you can do today (or at any time!) to boost your resume and stand out to potential employers.

Get Involved

College is an awesome time to get involved in extracurricular activities and learn what you like. Additionally, it teaches you leadership, teamwork, communication, and several other soft skills—all things employers look for in candidates! Check out Wavelink to see all of the registered organizations at UNCW. And, if you don’t see an organization you want to exist, you can create your own.

Volunteer

Volunteering is another great option for resume-building. This can be done through student organizations or local community groups. Volunteering always looks great on a resume because it shows that you put work and effort into something that you weren’t getting paid for, speaking a lot about your character.

Intern

Internships are great entryways to the work world. They often prepare you for specific work, such as working at a newspaper, law firm, or another industry. Since internships are so specialized, it’s a great form of job training.

Many internships are unpaid, but there are some that pay. If you’re strapped for cash, look for paid internships or ones you can use for academic credit.

Work 

Jobs, of course, look great on resumes, showing that you’re familiar with the work world. However, juggling work with college can be a lot of work. If you can, look for jobs on campus. Many of them are aimed specifically at college students, allowing flexible schedules since they realize you are a student first.

Suceed Academically 

This may sound weird, but it’s true: succeeding academically translates into real-world skills. Finishing school assignments, essays, and tests show that you’re disciplined, organized, self-motivated, and know how to work with others—all things employers look for.

women during interview
Pexels / mentatdgt
Building a resume doesn’t have to be rocket science, and these are just a few things you can do to boost your resume. Talk with your academic advisor, internship coordinator, the career center, and any professional you know for resources and opportunities to build your skill set.

Fairley Lloyd is a graduate of the University of North Carolina Wilmington with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Creative Writing and a Certificate in Publishing. She is just learning about astrological signs but is 100% sure that she's an Aries. In addition to writing, she enjoys reading, dancing, crafting, and doing anything creative.