This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Halloween is just around the corner, and if you’re like me you probably have no idea what you’re going to be and zero money in your bank account to buy a real costume. Whether you like to go all out, do it simple, or make yourself look like you were actually just attacked by Freddy Krueger himself, I’ve come up with a few simple DIY costume ideas to help get the ball rolling!

1. A Minion

This costume idea is very simple and pretty popular for those of younger ages, but Halloween is the time of the year to dress as anyone or thing you would like to be for the day. Grab a neon yellow shirt, jean shorts, and black leggings as well as some suspenders. Incorporate some black gloves and black shoes such as boots or converse to make you look super minion like. Lastly, you will need some simple goggles or glasses to wrap everything together!

Photo courtesy of pinterest.com.

2. A Burglar

If you own a black and white striped shirt, leggings, and a black toboggan or beanie you are set for this homemade costume. To finish it up, add a simple black mask and you’re ready to hop into the back of a cop car.

Photo courtesy of camillestyles.com.

3. An Athlete

This one is super easy for all who actually play sports. Me, on the other hand…I don’t have an athletic bone in my body. Therefore, this is when Goodwill or a good ol’ guy friend becomes your best friend. My two favorite things: cheap and free! Rock either a lacrosse, football, or basketball jersey, throw on some norts and socks, and draw some black lines on your face.

Photo courtesy of MacKenzie Capps.

4. A Superhero

Grab a cute black dress, tie a red sheet around your neck, and you’re basically ready to call yourself the next Super Man or Woman. On the plus side, you now have a big sheet hanging from your back that can easily act as a blanket for when you realize October is actually kind of chilly. You can also get a graphic tee with a superhero logo and add a tutu along with it for a more all-out look.

Photo courtesy of pinterest.com.

5. Greek Goddess

Go out and buy an oversized long sleeve T-shirt from Wal-Mart. Use the hole at the top as the top of the dress and use the sleeves to create a twisty toga like look. If this fails, you can always grab a sheet and wrap it around yourself until you feel confident it won’t fall off.

Sophomore at the University of North Carolina Wilmington, Business and Marketing Major with a Psychology Minor