This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

One thing that I am excited about this winter break is the amount of free time I am going to have. I know…you can be filling this time up with binging Netflix, but reading to much better and you can do it anywhere. Personally, I plan on reading as many books as I can, so here is a list of books I plan on diving into this break. Read along with me!

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

We all saw this movie, we all loved it, and it deserves all the awards! For those who don’t know, this book follows Rachel Chu and her boyfriend Nick Young as they go to Singapore for Nick’s friend’s wedding and learns more about his family and their past. With lots of romance and drama, this book will keep you entertained. 

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

This has been a book that has been on my reading list for a while now and has been recommended to me by multiple people. The main premise of this story follows a young shepherd in hopes to find a treasure while learning more about himself on the way.

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

This book follows a girl and her journey of Nigeria to the United States to study at a university. Another book that has been on my reading list for a while because I really like Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and her TED talks, “The Danger of a Single Story” and “We should all be feminist.” Beyoncé used a sample from the “We should all be feminists” TED talk for the song Flawless.

Women Who Run with the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Women Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes PhD

I bought this book over a year ago and I haven’t created time to read it yet. This women studies book studies the different types of archetypes women are placed into and one is based on the wild women. There are short stories that are broken down and analyzed by the author to explain where these archetypes derived from. I have already started this and it is interesting.

Becoming by Michelle Obama

I’m going to be real…I miss the Obamas, so I am excited to read about their experience in the White House from Michelle Obama’s perspective. She also discusses her childhood growing up in South Side Chicago and I spent most of my childhood growing up in Chicago so I feel a connection to her.

[Photos courtesy of Amazon]

Julie is a positive senior from the University of North Carolina Wilmington. She is an inspiring travel journalist who is double majoring in Communication Studies and International Studies along with having a minor in Spanish. With a lot on her plate you can always catch her in the library or stress knitting in her apartment while bing-watching "Queer Eye" or "Parks and Rec".