books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

4 Ways To Prepare For Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

You might not want to believe it’s true, but finals are right around the corner, and I’m here to help YOU prepare for the best (and worst) time of the year! Read on to learn some tips and tricks that will help you survive this semester’s finals.

Tip #1: Stay Organized

I’m a very organized person but if you’re not, no worries, I got you. I write everything down, and it helps me set due dates for myself, plan study groups, and write down to-do lists. The key to staying organized is having a good planner. If you don’t have an awesome planner like me, check out plans+things. Their layout is fantastic, it gives you enough room to plan your week and month, and even some room to doodle! As the semester gets close to an end, I find myself having several assignments due on the same week and sometimes even on the same day. Planning my schedule helps me get things done more efficiently and way before the due date so I’m not stressed. Start planning now so you don’t have to worry about all those late semester assignments when it’s time to study for finals! 

Photo credit to plans+things.

Tip #2: Get Enough Sleep

I know it sounds impossible to get enough sleep as a college student, but it’s NOT! You need to make it a priority. Going with what I mentioned about planning, you need to plan your sleep, too. Whenever you’re planning your day and writing down your to-do list, make sure to include sleep. Learn more on how to become a morning person and start doing your work during the day and having the best nights of sleep in your life–you won’t regret it! I mean, think about it. Your body needs at least eight hours of sleep per night. Whenever taking a test, you need to think and be able to recall all the information you spent several hours studying for. If you’re sleep deprived, your test might not go as well as you had planned. 

Tip #3: Find A Perfect Place To Study

If you’re one of those people who believed the first floor of Randall Library is the best place to study, you might want to explore some other options. The place you decide to study plays a big role on your test’s performance. In order to find the perfect place, you need to figure out what works best for you. While some students are able to concentrate on the first floor of the library, with some background noise, some can’t focus. For those of you who can’t focus around other people, book a study room in the library! Study rooms are great for students who need silence in order to concentrate. However, it is not easy to find the perfect study place. Exploring all the options while you have time before finals is a great way to figure out the best setting for you. You can even try going to coffee shops and studying in groups! Don’t waste your time: Go find your perfect study enviroment before finals come around!

Tip #4: Start Early

This final tip is the main reason why I decided to write this at this time. Starting to study early for finals is the best way to make sure you can understand and learn all the content for your tests! It will help you avoid all nighters and all the cramming and provide you with great nights of sleep. In order to start early, it’s essential to plan your study schedule and, to do that, use your planner. You can start by making flashcards for your classes and outlining the chapters. As the finals get closer, start to study the subjects you’re struggling with the most and give yourself time to take in all the information. Don’t forget that, by starting early, you’re giving yourself time to process the information and ask your professor any questions you have before the exam. Start planning your schedule now and get ready to make all A’s!