This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

We are always learning life lessons. We might always be listening to Taylor Swift, too. But are we always listening to life lessons from Taylor Swift?

It’s likely that you have listened to at least one hit single of Swift’s. It’s also safe to say that, based on her songwriting, she has experienced feelings on both ends of the spectrum, from being in love to being heartbroken. Even if you can’t relate to her life experiences, it doesn’t hurt to sit and listen to some of the advice she has to offer. This is why I’m sharing the lessons I found the most essential from Taylor Swift from her interview with Elle magazine, “30 Things I Learned Before Turning 30.”

“I make countdowns for things that I’m excited about.”

Everyone gets into a rut where you might feel overwhelmed and that there isn’t anything to look forward to. Having a countdown might take the edge off of your day-to-day struggles and give you anticipation for the future.  

“Fashion is all about playful experimentation. If you don’t look back at pictures of some of your old looks and cringe, you’re doing it wrong.”

I feel like we’re at an age where we’re all still trying to find ourselves and express ourselves in our most authentic way, so experimenting with your look can help you rediscover your image. If you’ve wanted to go bleach blonde for a while, this is the sign you’ve been waiting for telling you to go for it.  

“Learning the difference between lifelong friendships and situationships.”

There are plenty of factors that can contribute to estranged friendships, and sometimes forcing a connection that is hanging by a thread is more of a hassle than a luxury. We’re always growing and changing, and it’s okay to outgrow people and friendships. Instead of looking at this in a negative outlook, try looking at it in a positive light: “You may leave behind friendships along the way, but you’ll always keep the memories,” Swift says.

“I learned that disarming someone’s petty bullying can be as simple as learning to laugh.”

If you learn to embrace the things about yourself that others might consider to be different, then your unique qualities can turn you into a symbol of strength. People are always going to find something to criticize you about. The best thing to do is to respond to their hate with your own twist of positivity. Turn someone’s intentions of an insult into praise. If someone makes fun of your freckles, then own your freckles. I mean, you have constellations on your skin. That’s pretty cool. And, as Swift once stated, “the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate/I’m just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake/Shake it off/Shake it off.”

UNCW Communication Studies & English Major. Yoshi on Mario Kart. Game of Thrones enthusiast.