10 Easy Ways To Become More Earth-Friendly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.
  1. Swap out all your paper towels for washcloths or rags. This one is a biggie. Think about how many paper towels you use per day: drying your hands, wiping off the kitchen counter, blowing your nose, etc. Start by purchasing a big pack of washcloths (they’re not too expensive) and a good-sized basket to store them in. Put the basket where your paper towels usually reside, and fill it with washcloths. Now, you’ve got re-usable towels and don’t have to worry about purchasing a new roll every week!
  2. Reuse glass jars for things like tea or leftovers. Think: spaghetti sauce jars, salsa jars, pickle jars, you name it. If it’s glass there’s no need to get rid of it. I save all of my glass jars and use them as drinking glasses, water bottles, leftover containers, and for carrying around tea or coffee—especially iced! No more bottled water and plastic cups. 
  3. Start using vinegar and castile soap in place of cleaning products. Ditch all those nasty chemically products under your sink and buy a big jug of apple cider vinegar and castile soap (you can usually find them in bulk online or in health food stores). Castile soap can take the place of everything like toilet cleaners, bathtub and sink/hand soap… even body wash and laundry detergent. Apple cider vinegar mixed with water in a spray bottle is the perfect disinfectant in place of anything used as an antibacterial product, and its safe for you, children, pets, and the environment.
  4. Invest in a menstrual cup or period panties. I know the idea of a menstrual cup can seem bizarre to a lot of women, but if you use tampons during your period, menstrual cups are not much different (and honestly much better). It may take a few days to get used to (and you can’t be afraid of your own blood), but after that, menstrual cups are a gift from the heavens. You can leave them in for up to 12 hours and you never have to worry about forgetting to bring a new tampon with you, because it’s reusable (for about 5 years!). Yay for the environment and for your vagina!
    1. ​[Photo Courtesy to Women’s Health
  5. Compost your food scraps. You don’t need to throw away all your food scraps, as long as it isn’t meat or dairy, throw it in a bin outside and watch the rich soil pile up! Super easy and great for the environment and your garden.
  6. Cut out meat from your diet at least once a week. This one is probably the easiest way to help out the environment and your body. If you are a daily meat-eater, cutting out meat for one day a week can make a huge difference.
  7. Grow your own herbs. Basil and mint are some of the easiest plants to care for, and at the rate they grow, you’ll be enjoying pesto and peppermint tea all summer long! 
    1. [Photo Courtesy to Bonnie Plants
  8. Recycle everything. Find out where the nearest recycling center is in your town. Most likely, they recycle pretty much everything. Use garbage cans so you can store up a lot of plastic bottles, plastics, glass, cans, cardboard, paper, etc. and only have to make one big trip every few weeks. Just make sure to wash out all the food or things will get stinky!
  9. Cut down your water usage. This is a super simple way to help the environment. Turn the water off while you brush your teeth, wash your face, etc. Also cutting down your shower time by a few minutes or even skipping a shower every other day is great for your skin, hair, and the environment.
  10.  Turn off the lights after you leave the room. This one is self-explanatory and once you get into the habit, is a piece of cake.
Maddie is a senior at UNCW majoring in English Literature with a Professional Writing Certificate and minoring in Women's Gender Studies.