What To Do When You’re Sick In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Getting sick when you’re in college can be very different from getting sick at home. At home, maybe you have a family member to check on you or at least buy supplies. In college, you might get lucky and have a great roommate who will help, but for most of us we’re on our own. Below are a few tips to help you get through your ailment; whether it be a 24 hour cold, the flu, or that stomach bug that seems to always be going around.

Stock up on supplies ahead of time. Buy the basic cold, flu, and pain relief meds. No, they’re not always cheap but after a few days of sickness you’ll wish you had just spent the $10 to be prepared.

Buy the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast). You’ll thank yourself when that ever-present stomach bug finally catches up to you. Although bananas and toast really can’t be stored for long, rice and applesauce will keep for ages.

Don’t be afraid to cancel a few commitments. Trust me, I hate doing this too. But sometimes the best way to feel better is just to sleep the sickness off. Being truly sick is one of the few acceptable excuses for skipping a few obligations. Let your professor, friend, etc. know why you will be absent; they’ll understand. Just don’t get too carried away recovering that you fall behind!

If you’ve experienced being sick in college, you’ll know what I mean when I say be prepared! It’s definitely not the same as being sick at home. I hope these tips help you next time you’re holed up in bed feeling ill in college.  

Hannah Trudeau is a co-correspondent for Her Campus at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She is an International Business and Information Systems/ Supply Chain Management double major and is minoring in French. She would love to travel the world one day for work as she loves to learn about different countries and cultures. In her free time, Hannah enjoys reading and catching up with friends.