Tips for Staying on Top of Your School Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

As we begin a new semester full of new and exciting (or not so exciting) classes, we are given the opportunity to set ourselves up for a successful term. All it takes is some planning ahead, a little hard work, a bit of self control, and needed relaxation. Don’t worry Spartans, we can do it and here’s how!

First of all, go to class. Sometimes getting out of bed and dragging ourselves to that 8 AM that we hate is not the easiest thing to do, but it is the best way to ensure we have all the needed information when exam time sneaks up on us, and it will! Professors, most often, do not want you to fail and what they are giving you in class is a run down of the most important things to know, so make sure you hear it.

Next, schedule time to do your homework and to study. Stick to your schedule, set aside an hour or two a day to do this. For some of us that may be hard and maybe you don’t have time everyday, but if you can fit it into your schedule, make it happen. When you sit down to do your work, use the time you have set aside fully and if you finish early take advantage of that extra study time. You’ll thank yourself when that big test rolls around and you aren’t cramming!

Some days you may have to extend your study time a bit to meet a deadline but don’t make this a habit! Make sure you also have time set aside to do whatever it is that you like to do. Whether that’s taking a nap, being around other humans, catching up on some TV, shopping, running, or anything else that makes your heart happy, do it. Don’t deprive yourself of what you love or you’ll get burned out by the time month one is complete!

Finally, get help if you need it. We are fortunate enough to have a campus that provides us with numerous resources to help us succeed. We have access to both free tutoring for specific courses and free academic skills building to grow as students. If your semester gets busy and you feel yourself slipping, get the help you need to keep control of your semester!

As college students, our lives are full of responsibilities and our days fill up quickly!

If we get ourselves on the right track early, when exams show up out of nowhere, as they usually do, we will be prepared! At UNCG we have many resources to help us stay on track, but we have to get the ball rolling all on our own. The semester is still ours for the taking, Spartans!

I am currently a student at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. I am double-majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Human Resources and Women's and Gender Studies. I love my university and the diversity on campus is important to me.
Hannah Trudeau is a co-correspondent for Her Campus at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She is an International Business and Information Systems/ Supply Chain Management double major and is minoring in French. She would love to travel the world one day for work as she loves to learn about different countries and cultures. In her free time, Hannah enjoys reading and catching up with friends.