neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Time for Student Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Fellow students, it is about that time to start tuning into your professors educational spiels, studying, preparing for finals, and trying to find some free time in between. It is the time to detach yourselves from the comfort of your parent’s care and protection, and find your spot in the world. There was a time when your very parents had to overcome their fear of the word “adult,” and it’s about time you did, too.

Over break, we all have the habit of getting comfortable and finding ourselves back in the same rut of not wanting to do anything but lounge on the couch or the beach.

For those of you who are constantly on-the-go, kudos. People depend on you – those who have that sort of stamina. For those of you who are lacking discipline, it’s time to learn. It’s the final stretch of the semester. It’s time you figure out where you stand in this world and why; it’s time you start living for yourself. This is your life, after all. It is time you did things simply because you are passionate about them. Maybe it’s time you make a change.

Change may mean a number of things to different people. It could mean changing your major to adhere to your goals, instead of your parents’ wishes It might mean raising your voice in a relationship that feels like it is being driven by a single person. Or it could mean stepping away from a friend group that pressures you into uncomfortable activities. These are just a few examples; there could be a number of others. All of these hypotheticals seem elementary, but this is your life. If you do not like it, it’s time that you make a change. You decide to stay the same, or you decide to blossom.

At this time in the semester, set your focus on delving into the very core of your being and discovering who you are, what you want, and why. This is the year for you to move forward and only look back to see how far you’ve gone.

There are countless ways to initiate that positive change in your life. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Be adventurous and take a leap into something unknown. More specifically, join a club or do a sport, who knows you might end up unlocking a secret talent you never knew you had.

2. Say yes more often than the gregarious no (if it doesn’t put you in imminent danger, of course). When someone asks you to hang out, I promise it’s because they genuinely want to get to know you more. Believe it or not, you’re a pretty cool gal. Challenge: say yes for about two weeks and see the difference in your life.

• Warning: if you are the person who says yes to everything and your grades are faltering, it’s time to take a step back. It’s great to have people who want to hang out with you, but you won’t be able to hang out any longer if you are kicked out of school. For your case, minimize the times you go out and maximize the hours you crack open the books.

Realizing a few habits about yourself and making the appropriate changes will take you very far on discovering who you truly are. Take this time to make a permanent character enhancement. Don’t just let another semester of failed goals and lost hopes go by–make the change you want and don’t look back!

Hannah Trudeau is a co-correspondent for Her Campus at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She is an International Business and Information Systems/ Supply Chain Management double major and is minoring in French. She would love to travel the world one day for work as she loves to learn about different countries and cultures. In her free time, Hannah enjoys reading and catching up with friends.