This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

What year are you? What is your major?

I am a Junior right now majoring in Psychology and Anthropology.

Where are you from? Why did you choose UNCG?

I am not actually from North Carolina. I am from New Jersey and still live there when I am not at UNCG. I found UNCG originally for the soccer team here but after visiting the school I realised I wanted to come here regardless of if I played soccer or not. I got into the Honors college here as well so it seemed like a perfect mix of education, the school’s beauty and university life.

What do you want to do after graduation?

After I graduate I am interested in working in government public security positions. I enjoy studying and working with the public’s health and security and I feel that government work relating to this can be a very exciting and rewarding career.

What is a typical day like for you?

A typical day for me at UNCG is to wake up early and get a quick breakfast in before going to the new beautiful gym on campus (I’m kind of obsessed with how nice that gym is). Then to get lunch and go to my classes for the day. After class I like to get some homework done quick so I have time for dinner and then either soccer or hanging out with friends. I also throw in several games of FIFA whenever I have the free time to do so.  

What has been the best part of your time at UNCG so far?

The people here are 100% the best thing about UNCG. There are plenty of different kinds of people at UNCG which isn’t a bad thing, it just allows you to figure out what type of person you can become friends with. For me, coming to college from out of state and knowing no one when I got here, I had a clean slate to start from when I made friends. I have made friends from my freshmen dorm, soccer, classes, and clubs. But my best friends are from my dorm who I saw everyday for a whole year and continue to be best friends with today. My best friends make my time here worth every second. You Southerners are pretty nice.

Where did you study abroad? Do you suggest studying abroad to other students? Why/why not?

I studied in southwest Germany at the University of Mannheim. This was one of the best experiences of my life that every person should have for themselves. To challenge yourself in a new culture with a new language, people, beliefs and lifestyle gives you the ability to grow as a person and I know I did. I was able to make friends from beautiful countries all around the world and was able to learn about their culture as well. I managed to utilize Mannheims central location in Europe and travel to over 20 cities in 8 different countries. I was able to see beautiful historical sights and walk through the most beautiful squares in the world. I was able to keep a long distance relationship going while studying abroad with my girlfriend still being here at UNCG. It is easy and possible if you are both on the same page so don’t use that as an excuse to not study abroad. Take the time now as a student to go overseas when responsibilities are low. Now is the best time to do it when the opportunity is in front of you because you may not have another opportunity like this!

What advice do you have for freshmen in your major? Freshmen in general?

Regardless of what major you are in my main advice to freshmen is to know why you are here. This does not mean you need to know what you want to do for your future immediately, but it means you must have the drive to better yourself while in school. There is plenty of time in your college experience to have fun. So when work needs to be done, get it done and out of the way quick. A foundation of good grades freshmen year will allow you to have internships, jobs, and experience in the future. And yes, have fun as well (just not too much). Don’t let your academics get in the way of your education.

Any regrets?

My main regret would be jumping into freshman year having already decided what I will do and who I will be. Go with the flow and be normal. Everyone likes you more when you are being yourself.

I am currently a student at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. I am double-majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Human Resources and Women's and Gender Studies. I love my university and the diversity on campus is important to me.