Preparing to Study Abroad Part 2- After You’ve Been Accepted

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

A few months ago, as I was getting into the process of applying to study abroad, I wrote this article about applying to study abroad and some tips I learned that would make the process easier. The process was long, but eventually the deadline came for the application to be turned in and I felt so much relief thinking the most challenging part was over (it wasn’t).

After you apply and are accepted into a program (yay!) the real challenges begin, from making appointments for a visa to looking at plane tickets to realizing things cost a lot more than expected. Throughout this experience, I have collected a short list of things I wish I knew when first applying for study abroad and after being accepted into a program that I think could be very helpful for students thinking about study abroad in the future.

First, be prepared to spend more than you expected on things you may consider tedious. Things like the fee for a visa, insurance costs, and deposits seems to come out of nowhere and can hit you pretty hard if you are not prepared. This should definitely not deter you from studying abroad, there are so many ways to make it work, I just wish I was more aware of these costs and could have planned better for them. I would suggest looking closely into costs for the country and university you plan to attend. For example, for France you must pay two cost for your visa one for Campus France and one to the actual consulate. In addition, some schools that help you find housing will charge you for that service. Like I said, definitely still go where you want to go, just be prepared for unforeseen costs.

Second, on the topic of visas, find out right away (I would suggest right after you decide on your top choice of where you want to go) what the requirements are for a visa in that country and what the process is for applying. Some countries will not require a visa, while others have a very strict process for applying. I made the mistake of not looking into the details of the process and did things a little out of order which made things way more difficult and stressful. In addition, consulates, where you get your visa, may be in a different state which means you must plan for a trip to that state to apply (mine is in Atlanta for example).

Third, do not be afraid to ask questions! People are here to help, such as the IPC staff or study abroad advisors in your major and in the Honors College at UNCG. They are ready and willing to answer your questions and trust me it will make you feel so much more confident about your journey abroad if you just ask all of your random, long, and seemingly stupid questions (by the way, your questions are definitely not stupid and have probably been asked a million times before).

I hope these tips help you out if/when you decide to study abroad. These are definitely not meant to scare anyone out of study abroad; they are just meant to keep you informed and prepared. The IPC staff who arrange study abroad at UNCG are excellent and will help you every step of the way! Remember everything will work out!

Hannah Trudeau is a co-correspondent for Her Campus at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She is an International Business and Information Systems/ Supply Chain Management double major and is minoring in French. She would love to travel the world one day for work as she loves to learn about different countries and cultures. In her free time, Hannah enjoys reading and catching up with friends.