This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Name: Oluremi Olagoke

Year: Junior

Major: Speech Language Pathology

Double Minor: American Sign Language & Theatre

There are a handful of us who feel compelled to indulge in all of the bountiful opportunities our school and surrounding communities have to offer. We feel that if we take on all of these tasks, roles, and projects that we will automatically be the best of the best. We adhere to the notion that the bulkier our resume becomes, the higher the chance of us being more desirable to companies for which we want to work. For this week’s profile, we’re taking a look at a versatile and dedicated student, to see how she strategizes and prioritizes in order to complete her infinite list of tasks.

Remi is a junior at UNCG concentrating on Speech Language Pathology and double minoring in American Sign Language and Theatre. If that alone doesn’t have her hiding out in her room and/or the library to study, she has also involved herself in a number of extracurriculars. These include: being an Event Coordinator for the African Student Union, being a member of the Mwasi Kitoko Dance Team, and being a participant in Girls Reaching Out. She has completed the OLSL Bronze and Silver Leadership Challenge and is a member of Disciples on Campus. Last but not least, she is an avid member of National Student Speech Language Hearing Association (NSSLHA).

How would anyone not crumble under the load of work that has to be completed with utmost efficiency when you take on so many tasks? The amount of success you have when taking on so much is dependant upon a number of factors. A few of these factors are the type of person you are (specifically what you can and can’t handle), your prioritizing and management skills, and your ability to have a defined and concrete end goal and reason for why you involve yourself in these activities.

Luckily, Remi has great prioritizing and management skills and a concrete goal. She says that her future for the most part is set-in-stone because of her major. Her major requires that students  proceed to grad school and then go on to earn certification and completion of the field of study. The majority of her extracurricular involvement pertains to her major and things she feels will assist her in gaining understanding for her future. However, aside from her major, she is also very interested in acting, making clothes, and baking, hence the extra clubs.

Achieving substantial goals for your life doesn’t come easy. Remi is a hard worker; a typical week for Remi looks something like this: “Hectic. I find I’m often going from one place to another most days. Monday & Wednesdays are my busiest days because I get up at 6 to catch the chariot at 7:30 to start class at 8 am. Wednesdays are especially long because I’m in class from 8 am to 12:30. Then I eat in the cafe till about 1:30pm. I’m lucky if I can squeeze a nap in but I mostly do work, go to some program in the EUC or look for jobs after lunch. At 5pm I have ASU meetings in the SOEB and ASU executive board meeting right after from 6-7pm. Then I go back to my room at 9. After that I take the chariot to the library and stay in there till about 3am. Then I call the escort to take me back to Spartan Village. I only have my ASL class on Tuesdays/Thursdays at 12:30pm so those days are good days. I usually like to get something to eat before or after that class. Fridays I also have one class, my adult aural class and that’s sometimes a struggle to wake up early and catch the chariot for. After class I usually go to the Caf and then back to the library to do my weekly assignments. Weekends are open to any event I’m free for. I like going to the CAB events and movies because they always give out free stuff. Sundays I go to church and after which I come straight home because I don’t like spending much money for lunch. This is also my catch up day to plan my week and do any readings or homework. In summation, it’s a busy life.”

So with the overload of tasks Remi must complete, we asked her how she keeps going? What is her drive? For Remi, her motivation is her support system keeping her on steady feet to take advantage of the countless opportunities offered in college. She believes that college is the prime time to make connections and figure out who you are and what you want to do in your future. Luckily, Remi is very future oriented. This is her main fuel to get involved in as many things as her schedule will permit, because she knows that the reward at the end of her college career is insurmountably greater than all of the long days of work combined.

So what can we learn from Remi? Stay committed, ask questions, get advice, and get involved. If you aren’t sure where to start, use your school for guidance. Check out job counselors and student and academic advisors. Use your resources to their fullest, because they are here waiting for you to ask for assistance.

Hannah Trudeau is a co-correspondent for Her Campus at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She is an International Business and Information Systems/ Supply Chain Management double major and is minoring in French. She would love to travel the world one day for work as she loves to learn about different countries and cultures. In her free time, Hannah enjoys reading and catching up with friends.